exercises to help with urinary hesitancy?

• 3 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi, I actually have bladder cancer not prostate cancer so apologies for that but the bladder people told me I should post this question here.

Following the treatment for bladder cancer I've developed the symptoms of enlarged prostate - frequency and hesitancy. Right now I'm trying to improve the hesitancy issue. All I can find on the internet is Kegel exercises and some difficult yoga positions but they seem to be aimed at overall prostate health rather than hesitancy specifically.

So I've been following my instincts - doing stretching exercises, stretching up toward the ceiling, straightening my back, squatting down legs apart rocking up and down, gently tapping my inner thighs and the area between anus and scrotum (which I believe is where the prostate is located), generally jogging about, just to kind of loosen everything up. I can't be sure but I think it is beneficial.

So I'd be interested to know your opinion about this approach and I'd be really happy to find out about any exercises or techniques aimed minimising the problem

cheers

Mike

• It sounds like what you are doing is being of benefit so don't stop.  I would ask if you can see a physiotherapist who may be able to help with different exercises for you - it may take a while these days on the NHS.  So, if you could see if you can find a physiotherapist with a private practise who could advise you.  If there is a Maggie's Centre near you it may be worth contacting them to see if they either have a physio working for them or can recommend one.

Hope you continue to make progress.

• Hello Mike

Welcome to the club!! We aren't a bad bunch!!

First off - I am no medic so that's a start.

* Reduce your intake - alcohol and coffee are the worst things to drink.

* Try distracting yourself - think of something nice when you know the urge is starting.

* I had a TURP operation and had to learn to wee again and was told that to regain control I had to practice my "pelvic floor exercises". .It is important to do them correctly.

I should also say - Ask your GP - Tell him of your issues - it's one of the signs of Prostate Cancer - you don't state your age but if you are 50 or over he can't refuse you a PSA test.

I hope the above helps - Anything else, please come back to me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I think you really need to see your GP and ask for a PSA test and or digital rectal examination.

One of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate is a delay in starting the flow and stopping and starting which increases the time taken to empty the bladder. At my husband’s first appointment with urology after his abnormal PSA test the first thing they did was a flow test, which produced a printout of the flow. My husband was adamant that his was normal, but the consultant told him otherwise. He was prescribed with tamsulosin to help the flow, but he only took it for a few days because after reading the leaflet that came with it he was concerned about the effect on his eyes. He had cataract surgery on both eyes last year and was scared that he would lose his sight.

At the next appointment he told the consultant and he said that as long as his urinary symptoms didn't bother him it was ok to not take them. 

At his appointment when he decided on his treatment, the consultant said that the surgery would take care of that. What he meant was that he would go from sluggish urinary flow to having a continuous flow. This was a big problem post surgery, but gradually over the last 9 weeks since his catheter was removed he's gained a lot of control thanks to the pelvic floor exercises he started when he was first diagnosed.

If you've not already done so it may also be a good idea to speak to your bladder consultant in case your symptoms are a side effect of the treatment you have already had .