The place to go

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I had read about Maggie centers for people with cancer and their family. Today whilst husband was having chemo number 3 rather than wait in the gloomy hospital I went to the centre. What a place. The building is up a slope and in the trees and almost feels like the building is floating. Lots of calm relaxing rooms and a kitchen to make drinks that leads to an outside terrace in the trees. I was made to feel so welcome. They do various group sessions and also have advisors to give advice on benefits, wills etc. If you have one near you I would strongly suggest you contact them, they were so supportive today to me. What a find. 

• I totally concur with this recommendation!  When I popped in to my local, to find out "what they are about" I felt a fraud because "I don't fall into their scope yet".  Lovely friendly people who don't care (or judge) why you walked in.  Gorgeous colourful throws and cushions amongst alcoves and nooks and crannies to chat privately.  A library too.  the most difficult step is the decision to visit then the step through the front door.  

• Hi Shar

I have heard nothing but good things about the Maggie's Centres. We have one in Oldham - I keep walking past it but haven't crossed the frond door step yet.

As  said above, I would feel a fraud as even though I have a cancer diagnosis I feel "almost cured". In fact with my new hat on as a "Community Champion" I would feel even worse as I may be taking up valuable time for someone who needs them.

Having said all that, next time I am in the area I might just pop in for a look - it may well help me give them a recommendation or two.

Thanks for posting - Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• No need to feel a fraud they welcome everyone regardless of where they are on their cancer journey. In the future I may think about doing some voluntary counselling work for them as I am a qualified counsellor so might as well use my skills to help others 

• You can just go and sit and reflect you don't then take up anyone's time but the staff do seem more than happy to chat. I had got my book but didn't have time to read it. 

• In the future I may think about doing some voluntary counselling work for them

Well said - look where I have ended up after 15 months on here - and you know - there's such a great feeling being able to put something back in. I never ever thought I would be doing this but - to help someone, you don't know who has issues and may well be in crisis - it's so moving.

Go for it Shar - Best wishes - Brian Heart eyes

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Go for it Shar when you feel able. I did some voluntary work helping disabled people filling in DWP disability forms and helping them through the quagmire as well as going with them to tribunals. It was very rewarding and the experience gave me the confidence to fight the DWP and get the law changed to ensure that expats kept their disability benefits when they left the UK shores.