Lethargy and tiredness on HT

• 10 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi My OH is on HT post radiotherapy and he is exhausted all the time.looking for any tips to help?. He has another 16 months to goon HT.

• I found it helped to keep exercising as normal all the way through my treatment - I may have taken things a little easier and done a few less repetitions at the gym but I did it.  Getting out in the fresh air walking was good and this both staved off some of the fatigue and some of the other side effects such as weight gain and muscle wastage.  I was more tired than normal and did fall asleep watching the news after lunch and again by 8 I would often snooze in front of the TV but there's nothing wrong with that.

• Hello Dorisw

I too am post RT with another 16 months of HT to go.

I also have bouts of fatigue and can fall asleep at any time I'm not active. I also suffer from Long Covid which brings with it more fatigue, breathlessness and exhaustion.

I can agree with freefaller above that keeping active as much as you can and being in a routine of activity does actually help.

If you find your OH wakes during the night the best thing is to get up and do something like reading etc. and when he feels tired to return to bed. Likewise if he feels sleepy in the day when not active he may wish to go for a walk , even in the garden, and therefore may sleep better at night.

These are just a couple of things I've tried that helps.

Hope you too can find a balance.

Good luck on your journey

Regards

Peter 

• Hi Doris

The others have said it,  but the best thing to do is try and do something. He doesn't feel much like doing anything else but crash on the sofa, but a walk round the block- as slow as he can manage- will help. As will pottering around in the garden. I found anything outdoors was great.

In my view, aside from the initial shock of the diagnosis, this is the worst part of the HT/RT treatment. It's a long slog until the end. I will also add, the side effects of the HT don't stop immediately he stops taking the drug. I was told, the fading side effects, will last for as long as I was on Prostap - 2 years. 

Another thing to get checked is if he has anemia. 9 months after I stopped taking Prostap, I was struggling to walk at all. Breathless, absolutely no stamina ( or 6 miles in a morning is my usual).  Saw the GP who, after a couple of unpleasant tests, confirmed I was anemic - although marginally. He was surprised I could notice it. I most certainly did it was very debilitating. Iron tablets prescribed and now all good. I understand the RT can cause anemia. Its worth a blood test. 

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Doris

I can't agree more with the 3 posts above.

I am 6 months post RT and still on HT.  Exercise, Exercise and more Exercise - I walk and walk and when I return home I find myself something to do.

I do feel exhausted but I find that I can push myself and walk it off - I often set myself a reward after a long walk and I do feel better for it.

Keep it up and he will get there.

Kind Regards

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Brian

Would that reward come out of a bottle? Newcastle Brown perhaps????Thinking

Hope so!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Stuart

Ah no - but one of my long walks ends near licensed premisses selling J W Lees Best Bitter (An local family brewery) and I am sorely tempted to have a half before getting my bus pass out and a lift home (if the dogs are with me it extends the walk!!).

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Doris

My husband started HT in November 2022 and completed his RT in March this year. We have been told various proposed lengths for the HT from 6 months to 3 years. I am finding it incredibly hard - harder than I think he is!  I feel as if I have lost my fit, active, alert, engaged husband and had him replaced with somebody who seems to be in a permanent state of jet lag. 

HT is tough for both partners, that's for sure. I'm not looking forward to 2 more years of this if needed!

• Hi Brian

Couldn't think of a brew your side of the Pennines - Newcastle Brown was the only Northern brew I could think of!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Yeah I am finding it awful Confounded  he been in constant pain since Rt which has caused him to have another operation.  He is so exhausted. Hoping the op will improve things but it so hard.

Doris xx

• Have replied below 

Technology lol

Doris  x