Radiotherapy didnt bring the PSA & testosterone numbers down enough

• 5 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi, has anyone had this problem recently? I had G9 Stage 3 and went through 37 dosrs of radio. My blood test result since wasn’t low enough. Doc suggested also taking bicalutamide again as well as 3 monthly hormone jabs (i was on the bicalutamide before yhe hormone jabs) has this worked (lowered the PSA & T numbers) for you

• Hi Richmond

My understanding of a PSA reading is that after RT you don't get an accurate reading until at least 3 months after RT has been completed. You should reach your nadir 12 - 18 months after RT has been completed and this reading then becomes your benchmark and future readings should not be more than 2 whole numbers above your nadir.

My personal PSA figures are:

Diagnosis 01/22 - 182: RT planning meeting 12/22 1.37:  4 months after RT 06/23 0.576; 6 months after RT 08/23 0.438 so it's still going down and I am still on HT - 6 monthly jabs of Decapytol.

That's my understanding of how it works - but I have been wrong before - being a man!!. I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Rich

As Brian has said PSA readings  mean very little up to 6 months after RT has finished.

So the question is when did RT finish and what was the PSA reading?

Regards

steve

• Hi Millibob, thanks for sharing your numbers, you are doing well. My initial PSA was 67, four months after RT my PSA is now 4, so therefore the need for intervention to boost the numbers to be lower Fingers crossed, i know there are other options Chemo, etc if this doesn't work, but its obviously a worry.

• Cheers Richmond

4's good - With the HT intervention you should crack it and avoid the Chemo route.

Keep us posted pal - I am sure you will be fine.

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Millibob, thats very encouraging. Hope the HT pills will do the trick, next appt before xmas hopefully. I’m pretty young (57) so will fight all the way Fingers crossedThumbsup