Were you given a choice in available treatments?

• 10 replies
  • 114 subscribers

In the short time I've been here I've read numerous posts which suggest that patients and their partners were actively engaged in the treatment decision process, and given a choice of things to try. "We are still deciding which...", "We have until Friday to decide", etc.

While I am of course grateful to be receiving treatment, and to live in a country where this is even possible, choice hasn't been my experience.

In A&E, where I was diagnosed with Stage 4 after scans, I was double injected by a urology team who simply said "we're just going to start your cancer treament...". Nobody told me this was effectively chemical castration. Being Stage 4 something had to begin asap, but everything else was left for a month later, which should have allowed time for me to be allowed to engage, and to become involved in the decision process. 

I had surgery on my spine and radiotherapy was arranged for a month later, without me seeing an oncologist, and I only got to see them, unexpectedly, at the CT planning scan, with 5 palliative fractions on the surgical site starting next day, so there wasn't any discussion about side-effects, that only came in the first session, and the onco handed me a glossy booklet for a drug, told I would start on that next month, which, when I read it, included a set of side-effects including 1-in-10 having a stroke, and me living alone.

Subsequently, at the first clinic appointment proper, where even the appointment letter advised to get any questions ready you may have, and there alone, I asked about early chemo, having read of a 2012 trial with 900 men who saw their lives extended by an average 17 months, but my question was shot down with a remark about me challenging the patient-doctor working relationship. A similar thing happened at the last clinic.

Having worked in the NHS many years ago I am aware that some consultants see themselves as Gods and their staff revolve around them as such, though that was more the surgeons, but I neither believe in Gods above or here on Earth and am by definition terminal so it seems odd to expect me to follow in this level of worship and not dare ask about different treatment options.

What has been your experience with your oncologist, have you been actively involved in the choice, given a range of possible options so you can assess the side-effects, or was everything decided for you?

• Sorry to hear, I had to change hospitals twice because wasn't happy so there are problems out there.

Having said that I know there are people very happy with the help/treatment they received.

So some of it down to luck I suppose.

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Hi Steve

Like you wasn't given a choice as they thought from my MRI the little buggers had gone walkabout - 9 months down the line the oncologist decided they hadn't.

Had I had the choice of treatments I would have gone down the route I am on now!

I am fully aware the side effects are very rarely discussed - I am married to a nurse and knew what was coming every step of the way so in a way I was lucky.

You take care Steve.

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Steve. Although I had a Gleason score of 4+5=9, indicating an aggressive cancer, my staging was T3A N0 M0, so no spread to lymph nodes, bones or other organs. I was given a choice of surgery or HT/RT and chose the latter path as I am very active and was told that surgery could leave me with stress incontinence when exercising. As you are stage 4 the choices are a bit more limited, but it sounds as though your consultant thinks he can do no wrong!

I hope you can resolve the issue and be more involved in the choice of treatment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi Seamus

That's something else you have reminded me about diagnosis and treatment.

On biopsy 12/21 I was a Gleason 7 (3+4) - when I had my TURP operation 11/22 and my "chips" were measured I had become a Gleason 9 (5+4). Now a question no one has answered - was it a mis-diagnosis or did the cancer become more aggressive in the 11 month gap?

Anyone wish to throw their hat in the ring?

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

• I went from a Gleason score of 3+4=7 to a 5+4=9 in 2 years. First score based on 34 cores of which only 3 were positive.

• Interesting - It looks like if you leave it without doing anything it can become more aggressive - BUT I was on HT form 01/22. 

Sorry Northers Steve - I didn't want to pinch your thread!!

Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Northern Steve. It does seem your oncologist hasn’t involved you much but like Seamus says it could be because you are a stage 4 there are less personal options. He could have been more human about it though.

Hi Millibob. Can’t resist jumping in here. My husband is in the gleason 9 club too with exactly your stats.  We asked the oncologist and he said he would always have come in at that aggressive level. Our own research confirmed this. We were concerned lack of appointment due to lockdown had made it more aggressive. Just got to hope it hasn’t spread microscopically before  his treatment started. His PSA has been undetectable for 8 months now.

• Hi Honey2

It's always made me wonder that one. However as long as the HT and RT are doing the business and I feel great with a low PSA - it's happy days.

It's always nice to speak to a member or member's wife of our "exclusive 9 club" especially ones that are doing well. I am very pleased for you with an undetectable PSA. I have my first 6 monthly PSA after RT in 2 weeks time and am hoping for less than my last at 0.576.

Best Wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

1. I really dislike our oncologist mainly because he doesn't really like answering my questions. I have explained to him that husband is quiet and although it is me asking I am doing it on behalf of my husband. I don't think he likes me challenging him. They are not god.  On a positive note I do believe he is offering us the very best treatment available. Years ago in a job I was in, a school caretaker came to see me and said he felt like he was the bottom of the pile. I told him that if the heating stopped working, or the lights or water were off or the school wasn't clean then the school would have shut for the day. However if the head teacher was absent then the school could still function. I reminded him that it was him that opened the school at 6am everyday not the head teacher .He went away with his head held high and a smile on his face.
  • Hi Millibob. Thanks for your reply. My husbands PSA never went above 5.6 even with a Gleason 9 so yours has done well to come down that low considering how high it was. He has his check ups every 3 months which we did ask for and he opted for the pivotal boost trial that was offered so that could be a factor. Hope all goes well for your PSA check up.