Scan after RT

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers
  1. hi, half way through Radiotherapy for prostate cancer. I have asked my oncologist this this question , but didn’t seem to get a definitive response. Why don’t we get scanned after the RT sessions . 
    regards Norman
  • Hi Norman

No more scans unless the PSA starts rising again.

Don't think that would show much anyway as prostate turns into a kind of mush..... apparently.

PSA was really developed for checking after treatment finishes to make sure cancer hasn't returned.

First PSA after treatment ends is usually at least 3 months but often 6 months

Best wishes

Steve 

• Hi Steve, 

thanks for your reply-much appreciated 

take care

Norman

• Hi Norman

I asked the same question - Steve (Grundo) is quite correct - it's a mush. I was told it takes 3/4 months before it gets back to normal after RT and your PSA won't reach it's Nadar (lowest point) until 12/18 months after RT.

I asked the radiologists the question during treatment (I like to know what's going on with my body) as the first rotation on the "sunbed" is a type of CT scan to ensure you are in the correct place for treatment. She said it is a CT scan but only to ensure the RT hits the target and isn't good enough for medical opinion!!

Hope the RT is going well with minimum side effects.

Kind Regards

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks very much for your reply.

I understand it more clearly now. Side effects aren’t too bad - hot flushes bad some days - no2s a bit iffy , and s bit moody some dates. Seem to have acquired a load more fat round my belly - think that’s down to the Zoladex injections. Incidentally, do you travel abroad? And if so have you had any issues with Travel Insurance?

all the best , Norman 

• Hi Norman

Try Sage tablets for the hot flushes - they work for me but not everyone. Weight gain, yes but my hormone tablet's patient information sheet says that's a side effect. Make sure you keep exercising or the fatigue will sneak up on you.

Yes we do go abroad as much as we can - we have a place in Turkey just outside Oludeniz - that's the beach on my icon! I spent an age on travel insurance - I have PC and Type 2 diabetes and Mrs Millibob has her own issues (medical I may add). We are on annual world wide cover with All Clear. Our broker did it for us as I was fed up ringing round. If you wait until you have completed your RT it will be much cheaper. Don't bother filling in the online forms - with PC you are best ringing the company direct as they all use the same algorithm and as soon as you get to the end of the form it asks you to contact them by telephone.

I hope the above helps - anything else just ask.

Best wishes

Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hey Brian

thats great information. Thanks very much and look after yourselves. 
    Norman