after abiraterone

• 24 replies
  • 115 subscribers

Hi my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer march 2020 with a gleason score of 9 and small areas of mets in spine and pelvis, because of covid couldn't have chemo so was started on abiraterone and 3 monthly hormone injections, his psa was undetectable after starting on medication but has been rising slowly for past year and last bloods showed 12.8, scans in january showed no change, had a face to face with consultant last week where was told new scans booked for this month (July) , will be kept on abiraterone if these scans show no changes but forsees chemo within next 6 months, I'm starting to panic a bit now and wondered if this has been anyone elses experience.

Thanks

• Hi Mevaig

I’ve done chemo, now on enzalutamide, my PSA has risen to 14 ( far from the 892 when I was diagnosed ) there’s a few things I can still have, chemo again which knocked me for six, or radium 223 or some other trial that might be out there. Like your husband I have a full body scan this month, I already knew about pelvis, ribs, spine maybe shoulders, 

Sometimes rising PSA is not a huge concern, although we all want to keep it low, it’s just having a plan B my wife’s favourite saying.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Melvaig,

I've actually just been reading up about this because my partner is now on Abiraterone for the foreseeable future. I was wondering how long it was effective for, below is a link to what I was reading .( the consultant said "for life": which doesn't really tell you anything and seemed a bit vague to me) the link is from a reputable source. I was slightly under the misconception that it was a Chemo type drug, but it is not, it's a hormone supressent that works a different way and was used in covid times rather than having to go into hospital for vulnerable people. So I guess Chemo is an option next and also Enzalutamide ( which is a similar drug to Abiraterone but works a bit differently), like Joe says. I understand your panic because my partner keeps moving up the treatment scale also, but it's comforting to know that there's still lots of options available. And of course you never know what new treatments and combinations are just around the corner. 

Best wishes L

Abiraterone

• Hi Joe

Thanks for replying, it is comforting to know there are options and hopefully when time comes will be a trial drug.

Just have to keep positive.

Keep well

• Hi L

Our consultant at the time said that aberaterone did the same as chemo but whereas he would have 6-10 chemo sessions instead of being on the aberaterone long term.

From reading up on it seems most people get up to 2 years before effect not as good, although my husband has been on for nearly 3 years, his psa only started to rise slowly last June but January scans showed no change from 2 years previous so has been great for him and he will be kept on it indefinitely depending on this months scan results  regardless of psa readings if he still feels well so hopefully your partner will do well on it also.

We just have to keep fingers crossed new treatments will become available. 

Best wishes

• Yes I'm sure theres loads of people here that have been on it for years! Perhaps they will see this thread and say. I'm hoping my partner can have it for a long time if possible. 

L

• Wow Joe,

I've just read your profile, thank you for taking the time to list everything thats happened from the start it's so helpful.. It's great to see you are going strong with an original PSA of 893, very inspiring.

LSlight smile.

• Hi

It’s not always about the PSA, I’ve known a couple of people on here with a score in the thousands, although this is rare. My profile is like many on here, I just never give up positivity keeps you going, plus a good wife who’s my carer to.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi melvaig,

I was diagnosed in March 2020 like your husband, just before the first lockdown and my treatment plan was altered to Abiraterone with 3 monthly Prostap3 hormone injections.  My mets are slightly more advanced but I don't know if that makes an overall difference in the whole scheme of things. I was told I would be on Abiraterone until it stops working and then onto plan "B" which was likely to be chemo. My PSA is still undetectable and besides the usual side effects I'm still coping ok. As far as scans go, I have never had a scan since going through my diagnosis. My MDT told me they would know of any change in my PSA before I did, so as it stands, I am quite happy the way things are going.

Take care, Tom

• Hi Tom

Thats fantastic that your psa is still undetectable on the aberaterone, my husband has also done really well on it and although his psa is starting to rise it is still relatively low and apart from being tired at times he is well, still working full time. He has had his scans this week so fingers crossed no change.

Chemo is next option but at least there are options so trying to stay positive.

Keep well