Testosterone levels

• 6 replies
  • 110 subscribers

I've been on 3 monthly Zoladex jabs for the last 3 years, and recently I've experienced a couple of unexpected sexyal urges! Could my testosterone levels have started to increase, and if so, can I ask my practice nurse to do a blood test to assess levels? I'm due a PSA next week with my next jab. Any advice gratefully appreciated, thanks.

BAS

• Hi Bas

I'm not an expert, but can't see any reason why you couldn't ask for a testosterone check, at the same time as your planned PSA. 

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Bas

I agree with Stuart above. Ask for both a Testosterone & PSA test at the same time.

I know you are a Gleason 9 (welcome to the Number 9 club Angry) and have been under the knife to have the prostate removed, have you had any meetings with surgery in the 3 years since the operation or are you just under the GP now?

Kind Regards

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

You're right, I'm in the Gleason 9 (4+5) club, T2 N0 M0 unfortunately but I've not had a prostatectomy. I was offered radiotherapy at diagnosis in 2020 but opted for HT for life on Zoladex. So far iJoyseems to be doing its job, but I'm just a bit worried about testosterone levels possibly rising. So in about a week's time I'll get my lovely practice nurse to get the level checked along with the uJoyal PSA check. I think I'll ask for a anemia check as well as I often feel like nodding off these days, mind you, I am 79 in a few weeks time!!Joy 

Regards

BAS

• Hi Bas

Thanks for the reply - I am not a medical man but I am aware those pesky little blighters can after a period of time overcome the hormone therapy and your testosterone can start to rise again!

Hey, and I am only 67 and I have to keep myself active otherwise I could nod off - afternoons are popular but I haven't done it since a couple of weeks after completing radiotherapy! So at 79 well done for only just starting napping!!Thumbsup

Keep us posted with the outcome of your tests and I hope there's no issues.

Kind Regards

Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Bas 

How interesting. I had RT, then 2 years of RT. At the beginning of this year, my fitness levels fell off a cliff which surprised me, as the longer I was off the HT the fitter I was becoming. I mentioned this to my GP and the bloods did, indeed, show I was anemic. I'm now on iron tablets so we will see!

GP did question whether the cause was connected to my cancer treatment.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Stuart

Apologies - I must have put it to the back of my mind - yes you are another member of the Gleason 9 club! It's starting to develop into a rather larger club than I thought.

I hope apart from being anemic - everything else is ok with you. I know where you are coming from about fitness levels.

I am trying to keep up with the walking but it's becoming harder and I am feeing it in my back in the last few weeks. The dogs keep looking at me as if to say "can't you keep up". I think the HT is taking it's toll too.

However I am trying - I have a GP meeting later this month and back for first review next month 6 months after the end of RT with the hospital so I have a few questions - My PSA is good at just over 0.5 and I am wondering if old age is catching up with me at last!

You take care and best wishes 

Kind Regards

Brian.

Community Champion badge