Re prostrate cancer with Crohn’s

• 8 replies
  • 112 subscribers

I’m diagnosed with prostrate cancer and I have Crohn’s and my consultant won’t operate and can’t even have the seed in to prostrate as it’s too advanced , anyone had similar experience, john 

• Hello Jonnymac22

I hope you do not mind me replying but I noticed that you had not yet had a response so thought by doing so it may move you back to the top and someone with some experience will see your post and offer advice.

Being diagnosed with any cancer is always a worrying time but I found that the Online Community and Macmillan were a great support to me. I hope that you will find the same. 

I am sorry to see that you also have Crohn's and that the consultant does not think surgery is an option. I hope that you will have the chance to talk through other treatment options with your consultant soon. 

In the meantime if there is anything that you need please do ask. 

Jane 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Good evening, yes thanks for the message , hoping that I can have the third option of radio therapy 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• But that is only possible when I’ve had tests and discussed with my Crohn’s team and prostrate team to see if my Crohn’s isn’t active , so at moment it’s harmone tabs I’ve just started oN last three days 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• This has not affected us but I know someone in a similar situation and is still seeking options. I did read that the Space Oar has not been given the green light because there is still insufficient evidence on whether or not there is any advantage in using it for men with Crohns. I wonder whether there is any ongoing research in this area? The space oar is a gel inserted to protect the bowel from the radiotherapy. Hth

• The professor said Wednesday I’m a challenge and he is up to it , hope Crohn’s doesn’t stop me getting this awful prostrate cancer out of me , but at moment I’m ok and still building my projects at 67 and only downside is we had to cancel Cuba hols nxt week as I’m told to cover up wherever possible and high factors on , 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• I’ll check in with consultants re the space one , thanks 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Good day to you, yes the space one placed in me is being mentioned with my consultant and professor at chesterfield and Sheffield’hospitals at mo , it’s the Crohn’s that seems to be a worry for them and for me as to wether it may cause me more problems, but I just take things in my stride and carry on , I’m really hoping I do find someone on here experiencing similar with their Crohn’s , thanks i

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hi Jonny,

my partner has had the SpaceOar, it’s a very quick and straightforward procedure and it does protect the rectum. He doesn’t have Crohns, but he does suffer from IBS. It’s hard to say in his case if it’s worked because he’s at the end of the radiotherapy and he does have stomach cramps, bloating and diarrhoea, but that is a common side effect with RT and his RT was over his entire pelvic area rather than just the prostate so he has had a lot of irritation to the area. Certainly worth having thought to protect the lower part at the site of the prostate as it’s 1.5 cm barrier of jel between the prostate and rectum. 
    best wishes 

LSlight smile