Feeling so so low.

• 9 replies
  • 113 subscribers

I feel so guilty posting this given the problems others are facing. I am 9 weeks post op and very fortunate to be making a recovery I could hardly dare hope for pre op. Yet I feel so low, I wake up with an overwhelming sense of hopelessness, I tell myself I’m being self indulgent and need to snap out of it but I just want to be on my own to burst into tears.I’ve got so much to be thankful for. Sorry again for posting this, 

• I really don't think this is so unusual after going through the stresses of diagnosis and treatment - no odds how bad the cancer is and how old or young we are so don't beat yourself up about it. All of a sudden you are through with treatment and everything seems a bit flat  There must be support groups meeting near you - have you a Maggie's Centre at a hospital close to you?  If you do then please go there and join their Prostate Cancer Group - sometimes called "The Walnut Club"  7/8 years ago when I was diagnosed and went through treatment they ran a recovering from Cancer Course for 6 weeks which brilliant and included all  sorts of things, relaxation, yoga, diet, getting back to fitness, benefits etc.  Here it was a couple of hours every Monday afternoon.  Check it out if your nearest Maggie's Centre does this.  If not just going there and talking to someone will be helpful.  If you can't get to a Maggie's Centre then look up other Prostate Cancer Support Groups that may be in your area and join one that suits you.  Other than that your cancer hospital and GP surgery should be able to point you in the right direction for help and counselling.

All the very best to you and yours.

Des

• Thanks Des. Things seem a bit better this morning. I’ve got a counselling session booked for next week and have been given a link to a support group. Thanks again for your kind words. Daniel 

• Thats all good.  Hope things start to get better from now on for you.

All the best

Des

• Hi Daniel

Have you gone through any treatments yet ? Having PC is a downer, many of us go through the same thing, I must be an odd ball because I do my best never to let it get to me, I remember when diagnosed I asked just get me through Xmas, nearly seven years later I’m always looking foreward to the next one.

If your on your own the McMillan nurses are good people who will come and visit you, have a chat all informal, or if there’s a Maggies centre close, they along with people of all walks of life get together and chat a tea coffee biscuits all good.

Stay safe

Joe

• Thanks Joe. I can’t complain about the treatment and my recovery is going really well so far.
    The counselling session booked for next week got bought forward due to a cancellation, it has really helped.

Hope all is well for you. 
    Daniel

• Glad to hear that Daniel.

• Daniel, don't feel guilty about your condition.  I totally agree with Freefaller about Maggie's.  I attend a monthly PC support group at the Newcastle Maggie's every month.  It really does help to discuss things with others who really know what you are going through.

I also done the 6 week course.  Counseling really helped pull me out of the depths of depression.

Hope that the counseling helps you.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Thanks Steve. I’ve got another session on Tuesday. 

• I'm really sorry to read that you've been feeling so low  Daniel. As others have said, it is totally understandable and I think all the time that treatment and recovery is being planned and ongoing,, it gives you a focus. As you know, we are not quite out the other side yet, but I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from and you absolutely shouldn't feel guilty. This whole thing is a hellish bolt from the blue for everyone affected and you're not alone even if it feels like that at times.

Stay strong, you've got this

Jacqui