Abiraterone.

• 14 replies
  • 113 subscribers

I can’t find much information, but am I right to say that Abiraterone has just become available on the NHS in England and Wales ?  I know the patent was up in October and generic copies are being made. If so it’s happy days ! 
best wishes to everyone here on this forum. 
L

• i've been on abiraterone for nearly 4yrs and yes it is generic now .

its working quite well too 

• My brother-in-law died from prostate cancer some time ago after being diagnosed at 54 with Stage 4 and having treatment until nearly 70.  His wife and sons often meet his consultant when they go to prostate cancer charity events in the area and he often says to them that if he had been able to give him arbiraterone back then he would have had a few more good years. I believe that for a while there was no agreement between the makers and the NHS before a generic form was available so maybe couldn't be given to new patients straight away or something.  It is obviously something that works really well so now that there is a generic form that is available here thats all to the good.

• Absolutely! Also it allows it to be used as an early treatment rather than late as it’s a more reasonable price . I think (don’t quote me) that it’s the difference between £2k a month and a couple of hundred now . It’s going to make a positive difference for a lot of men. Hugging

• Hi BarryW,

I have been on Abiraterone for 3 years under the brand name of Zytiga, about 3 months ago it changed to Abiraterone Mylan. The only difference I can see, is it comes in different packaging but the effectiveness does not seem to have changed as my blood tests have proved, my PSA is still less than 0.01. I don't know about availability in England & Wales but it was prescribed for me (and others) in Scotland as 1st line treatment along with Prostap3 hormone injections. From my own experience I would recommend it to any guy but your consultant would have to have a discussion with yourself to consider your ability to deal with any side effects of which there are a few.

Take care, Tom.

• I think Scotland has been brilliant with using Abiraterone in the last few years. My partner has recently been diagnosed with PC and we were able to use his work insurance once we got organised. He's been having it as a 1st line treatment and like you his PSA has gone right down with minimum side effects. I think it's an excellent drug, because of how it elongates peoples lives.  I still can't find anything really confirming the use in England and Wales on the NHS but it has to be happening now it's generic.

• i'm in england and been on it nearly 4 yrs with zoladex injections 

my onc told me it was £900 a week then 

it doesn't suit everyone and many people don't tolerate it or it only works a short time .

• That's interesting, maybe it's an area thing then. 

• I agree, the old " Postcode Lottery " scenario.

Take care, Tom

• i live in blackpool so not an affluent area by a long way 

• Hi BarryW do you mind if I ask are you receiving Abiraterone through your medical insurance or from the nhs?