Back ache post surgery

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi all, my husband had his surgery on Saturday and I collected him on Sunday. He is managing ok but is still very tired and quite weak. His back is really hurting him since last night though and I think it is highly likely that it is due to him (understandably) spending a lot of time sitting down? Has anyone else experienced this and if so - any suggestions?

Thank you

• Hello Woolly

I am sorry to see that your husband is having some back ache since his surgery. As you say it may be due to him spending time sitting whilst recovering, however since it is only a few days since his surgery I would think it would be a good idea to give his CNS/consultant a call and mention it. They can then give you some reassurance and maybe able to give some guidance. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• The thing is to try and move every quarter of an hour or so during the day - even if it is to get up and stretch and just take a few steps around the sofa.  I agree with Jane and would contact his consultant or key worker at the hospital and ask their advice too.

• Thank you for your reply. We are not quite sure who to call or where to find a phone number regarding any queries?  We've gone back through all his paperwork and can't find anything? We spoke to 2 different consultants at 2 different hospitals but don't appear to have been given a number to contact with any queries?

• Telephone the hospital where your husband had the operation (you should be able to get the number from a telephone directory or on line- just put the name of the hospital and type "telephone number?" after it and you should get information on the hospital which will include the telephone number.  Ring this number  and ask to speak to the consultant urologist who did his operation or a member of his team.  The consultant or a member of his team would have come to see him both before and after his operation - so maybe he has a name?  They should be able to put you through to a member of  the consultants team or the secretary.    If you actually phoned the ward your husband was on while he was there ring that number - as this may get you through quicker.

I find it amazing that you have not got the name and number of the ward, a key worker,  Macmillan Nurse or your consultant's secretary to call in case of any problems or queries in his discharge papers

Hope you manage to get through to someone.

• Could you try the mainline for the hospital where your husband had his operation?

Or perhaps call his GP surgery and they would be able to help? My GP was able to contact hospital on my behalf a couple of times

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Ive been trying to edit my reply to you but for some reason this site won't let me today?  If you telephoned the ward your husband was on for info while he was in the hospital then it may be a good idea to telephone the ward as you may get information from them they would either be able to give you advice or at least tell you who his surgeon was.  Failing that just ask to speak to the consultant urologist at the hospital and hopefully either they or their secretary will be able to help.  Please let us know how you get on.