Some Good News

• 6 replies
  • 113 subscribers

I was diagnosed in Nov 2018 (T3a N0 M0 PSA 11 and Gleason 8) and received R T and 3 years of HT. Last hormone injection was in Sept 2021. Some 2 weeks ago I had a PSA blood test and on Thursday received the result. The level has as expected risen and is now 0.9. The good news is that the Nurse informed me as it was below 1 they now, in her words, consider my cancer dealt with. So now still trying to lose the additional weight (thanks HT) I was hoping 3 trips a week to the gym and a home exercise bike used twice a day would shift some but so far no joy. It's a long haul but now discharged from the hospital and PSA now to checked by my GP. 

I shall of course be staying in this group that I have found invaluable of the last few few years and I thank all of those for their advice and kind words and hope that i have been of some help to others.

With my very best wishes to you all and kind regards  Reg. 

• I don't know what your diet is like but please do remember that exercise alone will not shift the weight.  You do have to limit your calorific intake as well.  Muscle also weighs more than fat - that's my wife's excuse.  It may help if you see a dietician as sometimes there are other forces at work in our bodies that keep the weight on.  I was lucky enough to do a Maggie's Centre Get Fit after Prostate Cancer Treatment course which went into all of this with exercise, relaxation and diet. 

All the best of luck whatever your weight it looks like you have beaten this which is the main thing.

• Hi Prefect56, this is indeed good news and thank you for letting us know. My husband’s diagnosis is pretty similar -T3a N0M0, Gleason 4+3=7. He started on HT in November and finished RT at the beginning of March.  I obviously hope he is where you are now but I am fearful of recurrence. To hear of somebody who has come through it is such a boost!  I do wish you all the best for the future with your cancer well and truly ‘dealt with’!

•  

Hi Reg,

I was also diagnosed in 2018 about a month before you and with Gleason 9 but otherwise Identical. I also had 3 years of HT and 20 sessions of RT in Feb/Mar 2019. My last Prostap injection was June 2021. During the HT my PSA was undetectable but since stopping has been stable at 0.2 for the last year.

The oncology nurse at the local hospital said "As you still have the remnants of a Prostate you should expect some small level of PSA. We will continue to monitor it but won't take any action as long as it stays below 2.".

Your level of 0.9 is good.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi Reg

Great news!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Strange thing the nurse told me 0.9 but looking at the results with Patients Know Best the result actually reads 0.09 even lower.

• Hi Reg

Those pesky decimals make all the difference!

Even better news!!!!

Fingers crossed mine will be similar at my 6 monthly review mid April! 

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!