Testing testosterone levels ?

• 4 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Somebody on here asked the question this week about whether testosterone levels should be checked alongside PSA. We asked the oncologist the question today!

He said that he would test for testosterone if we wished but that, chemically, everything is being done to get the levels down. If the levels were elevated the only option to lower would be to offer surgical castration. My husband told him not to bother!

Obviously, this was one oncologist saying what he advises but others might have different opinions?

hth

• Hi WW - I only found out mine at a routine blood test before my Radiotherapy, it's not been checked before. It's 0.6!. I checked with Mr Google and it's almost at the bottom of the scale for a woman - mind you I have been on HT for 14 months so to be expected.

If you don't mind me saying - as a man - there are plenty of was other than having the level of testosterone measured in your blood that indicate it's very low - I will let you use your imagination!!!Stuck out tongue winking eye

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I always asked for testosterone to be tested along with PSA all the way through treatment and for 2 years afterwards.  Between 6 to 9 months after all treatment had finished it started to return to readings within normal levels but quite low - just as my rad.onc had said it would and it worried me at first when it started to rise but told that is exactly what should happen and it should get back to within normal levels.   For info PSA 13 Gleason 7(4+3)  T2 possibly 3 N0M0 at diagnosis.  2 weeks bicalutamide, 9 months Prostap3 HT injections and 1 month of RT  back in 2016/17.  At present still with undetectable PSA.

• My GP refused to check testosterone as it was an expensive test!

Ido4

• Hi, it's understandable that you are concerned about testosterone levels and their impact on health. It's great that you discussed this with an oncologist for insight. It's important to remember that medical professionals may have varying opinions based on their expertise and experiences. Ultimately, it's up to you and your husband to make informed decisions about his health. Also, you might find this article (Testosil Review – 434% Boost in Testosterone: Is it Real?) useful to navigate this topic. Good luck!