Rise in Psa after radical prostatectomy

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi. My husband had a radical prostatectomy 3½ years ago for two tumours, both with a Gleason score of 9 but contained with no mets but he had a relatively low psa of 4.3 so the Gleason score was a bit of a shock. 

Since then all his regular blood tests have returned a psa of below 0.01 but his latest one has come back at 0.03

They did stress when they operated that there was no guarantees that it hadn't spread microscopically and it could take lots of years (10-15 was mentioned) before it reared its ugly head again.

He isn't due to have his telephone consultation for another month, so was just wondering if they will repeat the bloods to see if it is a blip, watch to see if it increases again in another 6 months or try to find out if they can find a metastasis. 

Not panicking, just trying to keep abreast of things as we both learnt not to stress about things that we had no control over (like test results) Smiley

Thanks for any advice anyone can give. 

• Hi BL 

Think too early  in terms of scans which probably won't show anything because microscopic.

Possibly best approach is to do another PSA in 3 months, hopefully a blip, obviously if an upward trend then at some point they will have to carry out some scans.

Difficult time I know and something we all dread, cancer returning after treatment.

Fingers crossed, will be ok, keep posting.

Best wishes

Steve 

• Thank you. We did both think that they would wait and see if it continued to rise but the reassurance that this is what may happen is comforting. 

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • 0.03 is absolutely nothing to worry about. PSA will tend to fluctuate at very low levels after prostate removal. Mine has been as high as 0.06, but the last one was less than 0.03. Relax.

• Thank you. Nice to have some reassurance. 

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.