Recovery from RALP

• 6 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi All, 12 days on from my op I'm just beginning to feel normal again. I'm due to have my catheter removed on Friday. The operation went really well and I was home the following day. The information I  was given before hand was fabulous. Although I was given plenty information about the recovery period, I was perhaps a little naïve about the actual affects of the drugs, constipation and catheter related infections/problems. None of which I had any experience before. I understand how we all react differently but having some mild laxatives and say, KY jelly (medical grade if possible) in the cupboard would have certainly made life easier. Anyway, onward and forward. Keep positive and keep asking. Wallyyyy

• Glad you're feeling a bit better and good luck with getting the catheter out on Friday.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks Seamus, nice thoughts. I had a good one yesterday... I was out with the dog for 10 mins yesterday (first time), when my catheter leg bag burst..... lucky I had my wellies on.

Wallyyyy

• Hi Wally - That made me chukkle - I had an indwelling catheter for 10 months and I had two "leg bag incidents" both times out with our two dogs and both times - no wellies only walking boots - and both times over a mile away - on a narrow country path!! old newspaper is fine for drying out walking boots!!!

These people who have never had a catheter don't know what they have missed - I could tell some more stories but I would end up in the naughty corner. (Travelling through an international airport with one is fun!!).

Back on topic - it's great to know you have a positive attitude and recovering well.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

Had the catheter out yesterday, just as I was getting used to it! You are right about people who've never had the pleasure.  Although I had been warned about the dribbling and was prepared with pads etc. it was still quite a shock. I am now feeling more at home with the idea and am getting on with the pelvic floor exercises.

I am developing a nice friendship with a chap who was in the bed next to me in hospital who had also had his prostate removed. We have been texting regularly and have both found it extremely supportive. Talking is great.

I think I'll get my wellies (now dried out) on again tomorrow but won't walk too far. 

Take care,

Wallyyyy

• Hi Wallyyyy. That's great news - the pelvic floor exercises aren't hard but they work. After 10 months with a catheter I had to relearn the whole process of having a wee again and just when I was almost back to normal I started with my 20 days Radiotherapy - and guess what - back to learning and pelvic floor exercises.

It's magic you are getting back to normal - the dog will be please too!!

Take care and my best wishes for a full recovery

Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Brian, You take care too.

Wallyyyy