HT and Diabetes

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi, I have read that men who are diabetic and on HT can struggle to control their glucose levels. I am not on HT yet but its only a matter of time. Any reassuring words from men who are diabetic amd on HT

Many thanks

• Hi Brianissac

Strange that, I posted somewhere else earlier that after 12 months on HT my HbA1c level (the glucose levels) have shot through the roof even though I have been pretty good and been taking my Metformin!! I had my diabetic review at the GP surgery earlier in the month.

After talking to the GP and him scratching his chin I did tell him it's a known problem - however - I am having 20 doses of RT from 5 January 2023 and as in his own words - "lets see how you are in February things might change". I can't wait to find out what!!

I am only type 2 and would like to stay away from type 1 so I am in for an interesting ride.

Anyone any good ideas??

Sorry Brianissac I know this isn't helpful! but someone might have a bright idea or two for both of us.

Kind Regards - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Sadly it's a side effect of HT of which many medical professionals are unaware. I have been pre-diabetic for many years prior to being diagnosed with PC, with an HbA1c hovering around 42-44, but after three years of Prostap and Cyproterone it had jumped to 54. I'm now 18 months post HT and at the last test it was back down below 48, much to the amazement of my GP. It's actually mentioned in the PIL of both drugs but I guess GPs don't have time to read every PIL for every drug they prescribe. I did watch my diet when on HT, but still gained weight to 87kg. I'm now back down to 84kg and hoping to get down to 80kg in 2023.

I think you have to cut out as many carbs as possible. I haven't eaten any cake for two years and only had one mince pie over Christmas, oh and no alcohol since starting HT four years ago!

I hope you find a solution.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi

I'm in the same place as Seamus. After 12 months from my last Prostap injection I'm hoping that my next blood test will show a  continuation of the downward trend.  I wasn't diabetic before HT but just crept during HT. I've been trying to keep away from Metaformin but it did make a difference when I was taking it. When I was on HT my reading was 48 and it was down to 46 4 months ago. Annual review next week so fingers crossed!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Good Afternoon All

I am aware that in the past there were some clinical trials going on with Metformin to see if it could help with P C .but these were only open to people not already on them..

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi

I’m classed as pre diabetic, I’ve been on HT for six years plus I take plenty of other meds as well, including enzalutamide, I take Metformin to control my diabetes, the side effects can be different for everyone, don’t worry about HT I take prostap 3 every three months. The only thing I miss is sleeping at night, but taking enzalutamide does not help.

Stay safe

Joe