Post surgery raised PSA - can it go up and down?

• 5 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Dear all

I opened this post finds you all safe and keeping as well possible. 

my dear husband aged 49 had radical prostatectomy last Xmas (9 Dec) last year and sailed through all PSA monitoring in past 12 months with ‘PSA undetectable < 0.01%’. 

Unfortunately, yesterday, he went for 1 year PSA test results and was told that the PSA is now detectable at 0.05%, which is not good. I understand that biochemical reoccurrence is normally suspected when you reach 0.2%, so he’s not at that level yet.  

Does anyone have experience of PSA going up post surgery? 

Can the PSA go down again? Can it fluctuate?  

or -  if you have a raised PSA - is it generally expected to stay raised? 

Obviously my lovely husband no longer has a prostate so the PSA must be coming from somewhere - are there other explanations for raised PSA? 

many thanks in advance for any comments 

Best wishes

wiggers (aka Kate)

• yes it can go up and down my opodi nurse told me if you take 3 tests in one day they will all be slightly different .

exercise before the test can raise it and sex too , hopefully its nothing to worry about .

• Hi Kate

Something we all dread PSA rising after treatment, I had RT by the way.    Still not much of an increase, perhaps u can ask for another test sooner rather than waiting for another year, what do they say about the situation.

Looking through his profile looks like was a borderline case in terms of if it was confined to the gland 

So it is possible that it has come back but you need another PSA to confirm, hopefully just a blip.

If it has come back then obviously RT is still available and it is still potentially curable.

Hopefully someone will post who has been thru rising PSA after surgery.

Good luck

Steve

• I am 14 months post surgery and my PSA has fluctuated between less than 0.03 and as high as 0.06. Any urologist will tell you that the level will fluctuate, and a different reading can even occur depending on which arm the blood is taken from - it is not an exact science.

What I will say, and what your husband’s urologist should have said, is that 0.05 is absolutely nothing to worry about. Seriously. Relax and have a wonderful Christmas.

• To clarify and put my figures in context, my PSA was 0.06 in August, but less than 0.03 yesterday. So one slightly higher reading in isolation genuinely should not be a cause for concern.

• Hi All, I had my prostate removed August 2020 my PSA one month after removal was 0.1 tested again another month later 0.2 waited another 3 months PSA was up 0.3 my my team got me on 20 days of radio therapy and 2 years of prostap injections which will finish March 2023 PSA tested every 6 months and below 0.1  that as low the readings can get in Scotland.