Vacation advice please

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hello All

My husband and I were finally given his prognosis by his oncologist last week (the elephant in the room since August 2021).

He maybe has 12 months.

I would dearly love to get him away for one last vacation to the Caribbean early in the new year but of course insurance is just a no no (he is still undergoing chemo). Travel has always played such a big part of our lives and since diagnosis he’s practically become a recluse. I would so love to be able to get him away from the house for a much needed change of scenery.

I guess my question is; has anyone in our position just winged it and gone on holiday without insurance anyway? 

Thanks for reading my post and any advice / thoughts on this subjec.

Loveday

• Hi Loveday welcome to the forum and I am so very sorry to hear your news. 

Im going to be a bit of a party pooper here and say that I would be tempted not to wing it as things could end up costing you a whole heap of money if something happened whilst you were away. I cant help feeling how much that might distress you both more, but I can  also completely relate to why you are thinking about it.

Is there any way that you could arrange something in this country? I know its not the same as being abroad but at least it is travelling, albeit maybe minus some sun. 

Best wishes to you both whatever you decide to do.  x

gail

Community Champion Badge

• We’ve been trying to get insurance to get away before my husband starts radiotherapy. We were advised by one insurance company to try to choose somewhere where there are good health facilities. He specifically said that some Caribbean islands, for example, would be an insurance no go whereas, apparently, Tenerife has a university hospital. ( I don’t know whether or not this last statement is true). I did get a quote from All Clear. 2 weeks in the Canaries about £850 - add approx £2k for Caribbean. A anti gave a reasonable quote for 2 weeks  in Canaries £350.  I have heard that Staysure and Insurewith are reasonable companies for pre-existing conditions but not tried them yet. I really hope you get the last precious holiday. I would be on tenterhooks going to the Caribbean, USA or Canada without insurance cover, to be quite honest although I knew someone with a terminal prognosis who went to Australia without insurance. It’s a big risk, I think.

im sorry to hear about your husbands prognosis and can only imagine how devastated you both must feel.  My thoughts are with you both as you tread this difficult path. I do hope you have supportive friends and family around you both.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to GRANNY59

Thank you Gail, I knew that I would get feedback basically saying that this last dream was a non starter. I think I must be clutching at straws here and I honestly appreciate your candidness.

Thank you, I am determined to get us away somewhere soon 

best wishes

L x

1. At the likely risk of bringing the wrath of the Internet down I'd say -  go for it.
    2. What's the worst that can happen? Well it's going to happen anyway.
    3. Give him his wish.
    4. I wish you both the very very Best.
  • Hello, give "insurancewith" a try, that's who I use and I have not payed more that £70 for a family policy. You will pay more as you OH is on active treatment but hopefully it's not too much. I was told in March 2021 I have less than 6 months and after HT and radiotherapy I'm still here. I've been on 4 holidays this year, Tenerife twice for 6 days each trip, Ibiza (my 40th) for 4 days and Majorca for 9 nights. As a compromise why not go somewhere that the insurance cost is affordable or a few mini breaks. Take care

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"