Travel Insurance and Timescale of Treatments

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi all, my hubby is currently undergoing chemotherapy and his last round will be just before Christmas, the plan after that is radiotherapy.  My question is how long after chemo ends do you get scans and radiotherapy?  we are hoping to go away for a couple of weeks in the sun before his next treatment starts, has anyone done this?

my other question is will he get travel insurance having stage 4 advanced prostate cancer and if so have you any recommendations? 

Thank you 

• Hi

I'm not a member of this group, but your subject of 'travel insurance' caught my eye.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

It has been recommended in the past to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Hopefully someone from the group will be along soon to help with whether it's practical to go away on holiday before treatment starts.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Jnc

I have Stage3 Advanced Prostrate Cancer and my wife has a few issues of her own! We spent ages on the telephone to various companies and after about 3 days went to our local broker.

Insurance was sorted within an hour with All clear travel Insurance - it's for both of us - it's a 12 month policy and it's world wide - we want to travel whilst we can - the cost £ 1450!!!!Slight frown but at least we are covered.

All the best for you and the other half - I hope all goes well for you.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Millibob, thank you for your reply.  I will check that out 

kind regards Jan

• Hi there. I had a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy 8 weeks ago. I already had a cruise booked for November, but had not taken out any travel insurance at the time. After diagnosis I looked and every company was very expensive. So I waited until after the surgery and got several quotes. Ironically most of the questions and answers were the same. Except one. Rather than pending or being on treatment for cancer, I was now in the category of having had treatment or surgery within the past 12 months. And my quotes were suddenly a lot cheaper. I actually went with Staysure and even took out an annual policy. My initial diagnosis was T2c so took a policy and paid. But after pathology it was confirmed as T3. As it had spread into my bladder. But all margins were clear, PSA was less than 0.01 so no hormone or radiotherapy required. 

• Hi Samdman, thank you for your reply.

that’s great you have managed to get sorted at a reasonable price.  We are planning on going shortly after chemo but he will be starting radiotherapy at some point , we are not sure if the timescale after chemotherapy ends, so this will probably mean still undergoing treatment so maybe expensive, he is on lifelong hormones also so this may be another factor,  it looks like travel insurance is going to be expensive so we will just have to make sure we make the most of it 

Very best wishes and hope you have an amazing cruise