Living with a partner … coping with mood swings?

• 53 replies
  • 118 subscribers

Any one advise as to the mood swings, the short temper? 

I know it can’t be easy for him but sometimes whatever I do or say …. Slight frownSlight frown

• Hi Asheen, I can relate to this, it’s so difficult to cope with at times.   
    and I sometimes feel that is this it for the foreseeable future as I know this is lifelong treatment. the only thing I’m doing at this point is to try not react, it’s not easy but I know he wouldn’t normally be  like this and he does apologise. we both took early retirement so spend a lot of time together so I find getting out and walking helps clear my head.  On the flip side I now know what he’s had to put up with me and the menopause, its now a madhouse Rolling eyes
    best wishes to you both 

• Jnu …. Thank you for talking the time to reply & now I feel my comments are rather selfish but that wasn’t the intention, I was just wondering how others cope? 

Plus side thankfully I have not had any major problems for us both to deal with. 

• Hi Asheen

You don't give any stats, PSA, Gleeson, etc, 

Hopefully  lowish

Steve

• Your comments are absolutely not selfish, it’s so hard to deal with and sometimes I’ve just got to get out and clear my head.   We can’t begin to understand how they feel but we are trying to come to terms with the change in our relationships, we are trying  to stay strong and positive for them and then cope with the thought of treatment not working and the consequences, just so many emotions  from both sides 

Hopefully things will settle down for you

all the best to you 

• Thank you so much …  take care 

• Hi Asheen, I too have noticed a change and mood swings with my husband ( stage 3 ii  0 N 0 M) . He has had brachytherapy and radiotherapy and doing quite well but is so quick to stress and flare.

The consultant recommended a Maggies centre and he is going to try CBT to curb the anxiety which is also contributing to the hot flushes with HT. May be worth a try if hubby agreeable?

So hope you can weather the storm. 

Best wishes 

• Thank you for taking the time to reply & advice.  Take care 

• My surgeon immediately put me in touch with the hospital psychologist- they can help give support to both the person undergoing treatment and the partner. Might be wofth checking if there’s one at your hospital. 

• Debby, Hi, how are things going with John?  Did he tell about being referred for Acupuncture with'Coping with Cancer' from Maggie's?  Have you heard from them yet?

I had a call on Friday afternoon, they're ringing back today at 16:00 for a 20 minute consult.

I had counselling through 'Coping with Cancer' from November to April.  They worked wonders with me.

I'll let you know tomorrow what they say on the phone today.  I don't know if it's just to get my place in the queue.

I finished some more counselling last week through 'Talking Therapies', actual 121 counselling.  I was in the queue for nearly a full year for that.

Say hi to John.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Steve

Thank you for your message.

'Yes' - John has received a referral for acupuncture (Hellraiser springs to mind!!) but to be honest I have yet to catch up with his treatments since his return late last week from Spa Belgium with his track car. He is always busy.

I have passed on your message.

Glad you are getting the help you need and that you consider it beneficial. 

Thanks for keeping in touch and look after yourself. Debby