Advice required as to whether to have further chemotherapy.

• 3 replies
  • 109 subscribers

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has found themselves in a similar position to me.

I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer 5 years ago since when I have had hormone treatment, 8 rounds of chemotherapy (Docetaxel) and radio therapy.

I have also been on various drug trials which, unfortunately, did not prove effective.

My PSA levels have started to rise again and I have been told that my only option is to have further chemotherapy (Cabataxel). 6 to 9 sessions has been suggested.

My problem is that I feel very well at the moment and really don't wish to have any treatment which may make me ill. I did have a tough time with Docetaxel.

I am told that the benefit is an additional 3 or 4 months! My wife and I are having difficulty coming to terms with this but feel a bit under pressure to have the treatment.

• Hi Andy

I went through six sessions and everything else, that was over six years ago. Last two years plus I’ve been on enzalutamide my PSA has been creeping up, now around 6.8 but the team are not to concerned at the moment. Has this or Arberaterone been offered or tried ? There are a few others like radium 223 plus some others.

I’ve no idea how they come up with these prognosis, we out do these by not months but years, so let’s hope it’s the same for you.

Stay safe

Joe

• Thanks Joe

Comforting words at a difficult time. I have to say that, despite me NOT wanting to know, I was told that my previous chemo would give me about 18 months, and that was nearly 4 years ago!  Something of a shock, to say the least.

I was given Abiraterone, but it was only effective for 12 months. I will discuss the use of radium 223 etc next week but it hasn't been an option to date.

I am so pleased that you responded to my posting as I have been following your posts with great interest as you appear to have followed a very similar path to me over recent years.

Best wishes and very good luck..

Andy

• Hi Andy

I’m such an easy going person, when I was told, my wife was with me and went a bit tearful and noisy, I just calmed her letting the team tell me what would happen next, I remember saying just get me through Xmas. I was offered a trial on the stampede program, designed to hit it fast and hard. Hormone tablets then injections bring my PSA down from 893 to a lot lower, once low enough six chemotherapy sessions then a short break about six weeks let my body recover, then  twenty radiotherapy sessions.

Each time I went to any of these, my wife and daughter or sister took me so there was three of us at each go. The third chemo was a devil I caught sepsis. I used to take my temperature twice a day. It was 102 or 3 maybe higher but I felt ok. So off to hospital and five days later out I came. I had a room of my own as any contact with people who were contagious would not have been good for me. 
    even my wife when visiting wore a mask just in case. Being positive was a great help, plus some slight excersize ( can’t really do a lot with an IV line in you ) 

Although covid kept everyone in doors, I turned to writing, I don’t read books, comics was my thing, but I love tv boxed series so bought a portable DVD player, so now I’ve wrote or finished four books a trilogy about two agents and a vampire book with a difference. I have several others I’ve started, just bob from one to another when I get ideas.

So back to us, doctors have been wrong about many things, when myself and wife go every three months for my check up, plus my tablets, we always want to know what’s plan B, or the next stage, when I had chemotherapy before, I was strong, these tablets and hormone injections have weakened me, fatigue, tiredness and aching joints. 
    But I’ve said to my wife and family, I will do what it takes to stay with them as long as possible, that I rely on my team for. Hopefully when you see the oncologist or nurse next you’ll get some inspiration.

Stay safe

Joe