Locally advanced PC with lymph node+, Gleason 10, add chemo to ADT and Abiriterone?

• 2 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Looking for input. Husband, age 50, diagnosed 3 weeks ago. PSA 146 (was a 2 just 30 months before), Gleason 10. Inoperable tumor because it’s so large it’s affixed to surrounding tissue of rectum and pelvic floor. PSMA Pet shows spread in pelvic region to 1 lymph node, seminal vesicles and surrounding tissue. No bone Mets detected. Suspected Genetic connection of BRAC.
QUESTION: 1st oncologist advised to do Orgovyx (lupron alternative) plus Abiriterone and then radiation. However a different oncologist wants to also add chemo due to the aggressiveness of the cancer. 1st oncologist says no because he’s “just local spread and we save chemo for later”. Thoughts? 

• All we got is those professionals there.

You got more oncologist? Now you got more views?but don't they take their decisions to the multi disaplinary group talk?

When I tried getting direction.

I'd try look all them in the eyes, judge who was looking out for me and my family.not hospital budgets or what's been done before, tell them my circumstances and needs, family and life....

Then close eyes, remove noisey head n feel whos advice sounded safest, ask questions,.....then have faith in them.

I didn't do this with GP and just trusted their words....

Hope you are ok, you must be in bits. Hopes n dreams crushed...but keep plodding forward.

Get you hubby doing this stuff on the support forum as well.

He's probs feeling in bits aswell but in other ways.

All we can do is hope we being given good honest advice...

I'm 49 I'm not doing the chemo yet.

• Hi

I was put on a trial, called stampede. This was chemotherapy, hormone therapy and radiotherapy, mine is a bit more aggressive than your husbands, just look at my profile. Chemotherapy is aggressive and not without its side effects, but it is the most effective, 

After four years I’m on enzalutamide with a possibility of chemotherapy if this fails or there are some other medications that may be available. 
    So although your husband is only 50, there are plenty of choices out there, far more than there was say 15 years ago, what you can ask for is to see both or a new oncologist and ask in their opinion, what planned treatments are the best to use at this moment. 
    I know as my wife does what your both going through, it’s a tough journey with a why me and at this age, always on his mind. Whatever he or your both decide ( my wife always attends appointments) two sets of ears plus two people asking questions are better than one.

Stay safe

Joe