Bladder and Bowel Incontinence

• 3 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hello All

My husband was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer back in 2018. As he had a massive stroke in 2016, which has left him disabled on his right side he also has Aphasia and Cognitive issues. He was diagnosed after being admitted to the hospital following an inability to pass urine. The Consultant carried out a rectal exam but was unable to do a biopsy due to my husband not being able to lie on his side whilst awake. He had a catheter fitted for just over a year. He had a bone scan after a few months of being diagnosed where we were told that his cancer had not spread to his bones. I was told he had localised advanced cancer. To begin with, his PSA level was about 48, he started a course of Hormone Treatment and after 3 treatments his level dropped to about 4.3. However, his latest PSA test (October 2021) showed a slight increase to 8.7. 

One of the hardest things to cope with is my husband's inability to tell me how he feels or where his pain might be. During the Covid period, every time I had an appointment through to see the Consultant it was canceled. It must be about 3 years since he was seen at the hospital. Throughout the isolation period, he became scared of going out of the house and this has now become an issue. Since the beginning of this year, he has only come downstairs 3 times and has not gone out of the house at all. 

He has put on weight, he has become bladder and bowel incontinent, he sleeps for about 18-20 hours out of 24, and he is emotional and cries a lot. It is difficult to know whether his issues are down to his stroke or his Prostate Cancer. 

There are times I want to be more forceful with him, however, my Dad died from Prostate Cancer. Dad had been told all was fine and Mum was told he was a malingerer, so when he took to his bed, Mum was advised to ignore him and he would buck up. After a few months he died, his PM showed that he had bone metastasis, the cancer had spread from his prostate to his entire body. I am worried in case my husband is suffering and is not able to tell me. 

He has been given an appointment for August this year. I am hoping that it will not be canceled again and that I can get him out of the house as we really need to know what's going on.

Any feedback is welcome.

TC

• Hi

Thats a problem the McMillan nurses might be able to help with, I would certainly give them a call, has your doctor or oncologist been notified about this ? Now we’re slightly out of covid hospitals are more up and running, give them a call, be stern but but abusive, if they do not give the answer your looking for, phone again and again, being a pest is one way of getting your message across, ask each time to speak to someone different.

Stay safe

Joe

• Joe, I trust you mean "stern, but NOT abusive"!  Abusive doesn't sound like you.  Always appreciate your advice.

• So sorry to hear of all this.  Maybe you should call the consultant's secretary and ask for an in person consultation as soon as possible due to the circumstances.