Prostate cancer

• 7 replies
  • 114 subscribers
  • hi everyone  in 7 days  time  I will  finish treatment  Radiotherapy  after  finish  what will  be the side  effects I need  some  advice  what to do by banbeto
  • Hi Banbeto,

I finished my radiotherapy sessions 10 days ago (1st July) so far I’ve not had too many issues. One thing I did find was that I stopped the diet sheet that I had during my treatment. I had some spicy chicken the other day but that night I did regret it as I had stomach pains and bowel issues. I have now gone back to the diet sheet and things have settled down. I have managed to get to 7.30pm for my last drink of the night. I have a large glass of fruit squash first thing in the morning to rehydrate myself. I still haven’t tried any fizzy drinks yet. At the moment it’s still trial and error. I’m trying things in moderation to see what works & what doesn’t.

Feel free to look at my profile 

Tyler

• If you have been using diet for the radiotherapy then slowly go back to a normal diet re-introducing other foods slowly maybe even one by one over the next weeks.  I didn't have to follow a diet for mine so had no problems. 

If you have not already had any urinary and bowel related problems from the radiotherapy be aware that they can still appear up to 6 months after the end of radiotherapy as the radiotherapy is still working.  So any problems contact either the radiotherapy department, your oncologist or urologist - at the end of your radiotherapy they should tell you who to contact if you have any side effects that come up at this stage.  Any of these late side effects can be treated successfully with medication so as soon as you get them - if you do then contact someone.

If you are still on Hormone Therapy (HT) then you will also continue to get the side effects (if you have had any) from that until a few months after HT.

Anything out of the ordinary that you are worried about in the next months then ask on here for advice or ask a medical professional.

All the best.

• Hi Freefaller,

Thanks for this information. Somebody did say that it’s like getting sunburned, although you come in out of the sun it’s still burning you. I have a telephone consultation with my oncologist in mid August just after I have my first blood test post radiotherapy.

I’ve managed to get to 8.30pm for my last drink of the night without affecting my nighttime bladder issues.

I am still on HT & will be for another two years so unfortunately hot flushes are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for the information.

Tyler

• Hi Banbeto, A  short time after finishing RT I had some wind and passed a clear gel like fluid and following that a little rectal bleeding but was told both completely normal even if a bit of a surprise, It's very possible you won't get any side effects at all I think it's all a bit luck of the draw. 

Good luck with your results.  

Kind regards Reg

• Hi Banbeto

I had radiotherapy all be it five years ago, it wasn’t till three and a half years later I had rectal bleeding. At first I thought it was hemoroids, but I had a colonoscopy and could see whet was going on, it was called radiation prostitis, which with some iron tablets gradually got better.

This does not happen to everyone, symptoms can vary and they may show up in weeks or months, in my case a few years, so let’s hope you pass that one by.

Stay safe

Joe

• Banbeto,

My main side effect after Radiation treatment was fatigue.  After 2 weeks it was really getting to me, and after the full 4 weeks it was a nightmare.

My Prostate was squeezing my bladder and my stream was down to a trickle.

Everything improved in time, but at the time it felt like it would never stop.

You may be lucky and not have any side effects, they don't affect everyone.

Fingers crossed.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hello Joe.

Could you explain the use and duration of taking Iron tablets for Radiation Prostitis..

I had my Radiation from20/12/18 to 6/2/19. After that I did fifty three hyperbaric one hour sessions then covid came along and I had to stop. The oxygen treatment is sometimes used for the prostitis, so I thought I would take preventative measure.. Any information re Iron tablets would be a help. Information is everything.

All the Best