Newly diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi,

My relative has been told he had stage 4 prostate cancer that has spread and nothing they can do.

He is waiting a CT and bone scan. 

I am at a loss how to help, apparently a hormone treatment or trial will be explored. Why would chemo not happen? 

• Hi  Jill, sorry to hear

Chemo may not be appropriate in these circumstances.   Hormone treatment is probably the best bet, easy with injections or tablets , people can survive for years on HT.

Also check out cancerresearchuk.org and look under clinical trials , there are some good trials out there especially targeting stage 4's

best wishes

steve

• Thank you so much, this is good to hear. 

• Hi Jill

I had some of the worst scores you can think of nearly six years ago ( check my profile ), how old is your relative and do they have any underlying conditions? Chemo or the new medication is now standard treatment plus radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Did anyone go with your relative when they were told ? I ask this as two sets of ears hear more of what is being said. 

stay safe

Joe

• Hi he is 64, yes his wife did. Told it has spread but needs a scan to see if it has which makes no sense. Gleason score 9 but no space for bone scan until July which is worrying