Radiotherapy and HT Advice

• 2 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Looking for some advice/help/information. i have been on HT since beginning of January and PSA has came down from 88 to 2.6 which is encouraging.

I was given 2 options as previously mentioned 1. Radiotherapy with HT for up to 3 years or 2. Surgery and possibly RT after ( My 1st scans confirmed  T3 (N1, M0) (Gleason score 4+5= 9 ) which they said 1 lymph node had cancer.

After a in depth scan they discovered several lymph nodes have cancer dotted about the pelvic area and the surgery team confirmed that surgery was not an option and Radiotherapy was the route to go.

Just got my consultation letter through saying my appointment to discuss RT treatment is not till 20th May 2022 which concerned me as that will be 5 months since i was diagnosed.

I have been on Hormone treatment - 1 month tablets and 3 monthly injections since then

Should i be worried that its taken so long as don't know when my RT will start ???

Your comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Grigor

• Hi Grigor,

I know it’s easier said than done try not to worry, 

My stage score was the same as yours my Gleason was 7 (4+3) and PSA 203 . 
    My consultant told me they will give my PSA a year to get down to under 1 it took around 10 months , and that the cancer won’t spread in this time as I’m on HT ( injections and tablets) .

After my biopsy I was told surgery was not an option, I have had 17 out of 20 RT treatments which is finishing on Wednesday .

The process can take time which of course is frustrating but you will get there hope this helps all the best 

Tony

• This is normal to be on HT for at least 3 -9 months before having radiotherapy.  The HT brings down the PSA and Testosterone which feeds the cancer and also shrinks the tumour and weakens the cancer cells so that when radiotherapy starts it has a greater chance of success.