Starting radiotherapy treatment

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi all can anyone advise me.Ive been told I'm to receive radiation treatment over 20 days in the month not including weekends.My problem is its a 70 mile round trip and as I'm the only driver I cannot afford the fuel cost I've looked on web. Any advise or links would be great.

• Hi and welcome to the community. Not from this group, but I had similar radiotherapy and travel distance for my cancer. I was transported each day by the NHS voluntary ambulance car service. This was arranged for me by the hospital at my planning session. A free service here in NW. May be a bit restricted now owing to covid. It's not just the cost of driving yourself, but the treatment can make you a bit drowsy towards the end, so not ideal on motorways. Try giving the radiotherapy reception a ring to enquire. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Cheers for the advise I will follow this up.Many thanks, Fitz.

• I Also had a 70 mile trip each way for my RT (20 fractions). Like Rily said NHS will provide hospital transport for you, either by hospital ambulance ( mimi bus) or by a volunteer car driver. Is there a phone number on your admission letter for transport, if not ask at your planning scan as Rily said. I hope this was of help to you.

All the best and good luck

John. 

John 1963

• Hi Fitz

Have you had a chat with the Macmillan finance people on here they may be able to suggest something.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Thats great advise thanks John 1963