Please can anybody advise me on any of below please

Free prescriptions 

Free gym membership 

Toilet tag

I have heard various rumours about eligibility but not sure if any are true

• Hi .

For number 1, move to Scotland!

Not sure about number 2.

For number 3 ask Prostate Cancer UK for a card which says "URGENT - I have a medical condition that means I need to use a toilet quickly. Please can you help". It usually works. Alternatively, you can purchase a Radar key for disabled toilets quite cheaply, I don't have one but I believe there are others on here who do.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • You could move to Wales for free prescriptions.  Remember if you are having multiple prescriptions you can buy a year's voucher - which may mean it costs you less - I know longer know how much this would cost but last time my wife had one it cost £60 per annum and she generally gets about 8 or more things a month - the time when this really kicked in for my sister and myself was when we had to get prescriptions for dressings every few days.

Never heard of FREE gym member ship but you can sometimes get on a specific rehabilitation course at a local gym for a small payment.

Either MacMillan or Prostate Cancer UK can give you a card saying you may need to use the lavatory more frequently so may need to use a private facility in a store, restaurant or hotel/public house without eating/drinking there.  Of course this doesn't mean that they will all always let you use their facilities as I have found out.  Due to gullet cancer my brother-in-law could only eat small amounts of food so used to ask for a child's portion will his cancer card but a lot of places refused him.  Annoying to have to pay for a full meal when you know there is no way you could possibly eat even half of it. 

I think you can still buy a Radar Key for about £5.00 from Amazon or other places on line for public lavatories.  I have on of those.

Good Luck

• My doctor told me I was eligible for free prescriptions when I was diagnosed and done the form for me. I received my card and paperwork the following week. 

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• Hi Tony

Cancer patients in England are exempt from prescription charges which is just as well, as I had about10 prescriptions at one time in the treatment process!  Your GP should be able to provide you with a Medical Exemption Certificate.

Speak to your local Macmillan office regarding access to keys for toilets. The RADAR key can be obtained very cheaply and as Seamus says, an URGENT card can be obtained from Prostate Cancer UK.

Macmillan may also be able to advise you regarding local fitness courses, swimming groups and pelvic exercise classes, which are very helpful if you have problems with incontinence (a common side effect of prostate cancer)

Best wishes...

Andy.