Biochemical Remission

• 5 replies
  • 109 subscribers

On 15th February my Oncologist told me that I was in Biochemical Remission.  It was the first time I had been back to the Cancer Department of the Freeman Hospital.  15 weeks since my last Radiation session.

I was unable to say the word Remission.  When I tried saying it's previously, I started to cry.  So I called it "The R word".

I even had the Oncologist calling it "The R word"..

Some 3 days later I can mention Remission without crying (most of the time).

I have to be actively screened every 6 months.  As long as my PSA can stay between 0 and 2 things are okay.

No more Hormone Injections (for now anyway).

Once the current Hormones wear off in the summer, we'll just have to see what happens, once my Testosterone machine is working again.

When I was told about the Remission, it felt like an anticlimax (I was expecting a "Marching Band" and a big "Drum Roll").

• Bless you.  Hope everything goes well for you.

• Freefaller, thanks for that.

If it does, it does...

I'm enrolling on a new "Living with and beyond Prostate Cancer" course at my local Maggie's in Newcastle (just behind the Freeman Hospital), a new "Prostate Cancer support group".

Hoping I can help others diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

The story hasn't ended... just a new twist on life.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Yes I did a few courses with Maggie's getting back to fitness after PCa Treatment was offered at our Maggie's and I also joined "The Walnut Club" for the gents who have had or were going through treatment for PCa - we meet every week and have a good natter then a meeting with a medical professional giving us talks about current  and new treatments, and lots of other things.  Our partners get together for a natter  with a cuppa and cake at the same time and they also have a meetign with one of the professionals at Maggie's once a month to see how they are coping with the ongoing situation too.  They are absolutely brilliant.

• Freefaller,

Love the name"The Walnut Club".

Steve (SteveCam)