Radiotherapy delay

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Diagnosed T2; Gleason 3+4 ; initially active surveillance changed to hormone treatment 11/21 +Radiotherapy  scheduled to begin 8/3/22.

Telephone call today to say Radiotherapy  delayed for 2 weeks.Is this a common occurrence?

• 2 weeks not a long time, probably down to recent pressures, won't make any difference, you're on HT and u have low stats, everything will be fine.

Best wishes

Steve

• It is probably to do with lack of staff due to Covid and the backlog etc.  It is no problem as you are already on HT which is treating the PCa you have low stats like I did.  A lot of consultants say the longer you are on HT before radiotherapy the better and some advocate as much as 9 months of HT before starting RT I was on HT for 6 months before RT.  Feel safe in the knowledge that the HT is bringing down your PSA, shrinking the tumour, and weakening the cancer cells so that the RT hits them harder. 

All the best.

• I agree with t'others, it's frustrating, but it won't hurt. And it's almost certainly a staffing issue.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

Radiotherapy is important, having said that a small delay is not the end of the world, hospitals are doing there best to play catch up, as long as there’s no more put backs you will be fine, if there is speak to your oncologist get them to push it through.

Stay safe

Joe