Active surveillance

• 8 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi all I'm on active surveillance atm I was wondering if I could ask all those on it if you encountered any problems while on it eg back pain or anything else. Thanks in advance 

• What is your PSA and gleason score, have you had a MRI?  Any back pain should be investigated to ensure this is not prostate related.  How often are you having PSA tests?

• Hi my psa is 5.4 gleason score of 3.4 yes I have had a mri scan and I'm having blood tests every 4 months my next is next month which will be my 3rd 

• That's good.  You are being monitored really well.  If I were you I would mention your back pain as for some people this is the only symptom they get of PCa.  so always worth checking out.

• Hello Denon, I was on active surveillance from late 2018. Psa was always between 9.1 and 13.31 when I gathered it should have been around 4 for my age group. First few months of 2021 I began to have the most excrutiati g pain in my lower right back, radiating down my leg and loss of sensation at times. Went to G. P., saw nurse, no examination referred for physio assessement over ', phone (6 week wait). Sent me e mail of exercises as they said sciatica (they thought). Couldn' t do any of them as far too painful. I even wrote to Urologist in July 2021 and he replied a month later he did not think amythi g of significance. Had told him I was happy to have biopsies in April 2019 but no, 'active surveillance' Urologist said. Finally in July 2021 Mri then biopsies, diagnosed as had spread to seminal vessels, bone scan, results had spread to ileac bone so not now 'cureable.' So in answer to your question yes there were problems on A. S. Keep a close eye on your symptoms. Best wishes, Graham. 

• OK thank you for that 

• Thank you Graham 

• Hi Denon. I've been on AS for 5 years. During that time my PSA has gone up steadily from 3.5 to around 5.7. I get back ache sometimes but I think it's from an old injury. Next week is my annual MRI.

• Hi David thank you for that, all the very best with your mri scan