On prostap only

• 6 replies
  • 112 subscribers

My partner has advanced pc , he had a failed biopsy in November,  he is still waiting for q biopsy hopefully next few weeks , he's on prosap only , will this make a difference read others are on other treatments as well as the prosap , psa 24 met to spine rib and pelvis 

• Hi Tina, You have come to the right place for information from people who know from personal experience what you and your partner are going through. When I was first diagnosed they initially gave me a single injection of Prostap. When my multi-discipline team had decided my treatment plan it was changed to 3 monthly Prostap injections + Abiraterone along with Prednisolone steroid. If you read my profile it might give you a better idea. Remember do not be afraid to ask your consultant for clarification on your partners treatment plan. I`m sure he will be well looked after.

Take care, Tom.

• Most of us start on just prostrap or similar Hormone Therapy (HT) alone. Some then go on to chemo or other treatments and others at 6 months or so later, after the prostrap has had time to lower the PSA and work on weakening the cancer cells go on to have radiotherapy. While you are waiting for the biopsy the Prostrap injecetion is doing this for your husbands cancer. 

I would chase up the biopsy telling the hospital that your husband can take a cancellation if necessary and how quickly you can get into the hospital for the biopsy - I always do this as with us both being retired we can get to the hospital within 20 - 30 mins to take up a no show or cancellation.  So far this tactic has worked for me for 3 scans and one procedure.

All the best and I hope the biopsy appointment comes through quickly.

• I'm sure I heard that you need to go on Enzalutamide or Abiraterone within 12 weeks of diagnosis to get funding for either drug from the NHS. This is from first diagnosis rather than the biopsy. So it would be well worth following up with the oncologist. Good luck!   

• He had a pre assessment today,  hopefully be done in the next 2 weeks , its been over 12 week but no fault of his own , would of been later  if we didn't chase it up , it's actually been a joke from diagnosis 

• Hi Tina 

Hormone therapy is most usually the first line of attack, depending on what hospital he went to is how fast you get seen, sometimes it’s not their fault, but you did well to chase it up, I have mets in the same places, all are treatable, to some extent but once all scans and biopsy is done, then a treatment plan can be worked out.

Stay safe

Joe

• Keep chasing things up its hard at the best of times but now with Covid and Covid backlog it must be much worse.