Active surveillance

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

I've been on active surveillance since diagnosis with prostate cancer in September 2021. Back then my Gleason score was 3+3. My PSA was 3.74. I've had my 3 month PSA done and is now 3.6. I was a bit anxious waiting for the result. At the minute I'm struggling to decide if I continue with activesurveillance or opt for treatment.  I'm 70 years old and in terms of treatment  options, I favour either stereotactic external beam or internal brachytherapy.  I can have either treatment if I wish.  I just can't decide what to do. Active surveillance is attractive but I'm frightened in case the tumour becomes more aggressive. Thoughts? Andrew 

• Hi Andy 

With those low stats it's worth considering AS especially as it looks like PSa is going down. PSa is near normal.

Worth finding out size and exact location of tumour just to make sure of situation.

If u do one day need treatment  external beam or brachy, not much in it really.

I went for EB, it just seemed a bit simpler.

See what others say 

Steve

• Thank you Steve. The lesion is on the left AFS apex. Not sure of size. Out of 6 cores,  4 showed adenocarcinoma  and 2 were normal. Andrew