How do I talk to my teenage daughter?

• 3 replies
  • 111 subscribers

My daughters dad is in advanced stages of prostate cancer. He’s currently in hospital as he’s in so much pain and has high calcium levels. We are no longer together as a couple but are still very close.

Every time I try to sit down and talk things through with my daughter she just blocks it out. She usually just walks off. It’s getting to a point that I’m struggling to talk to her about this. We have a very close open relationship but I just don’t know how to approach it.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

• A lot really depends on how she got on with her father before you separated, and since, so I can only offer very general advice...

Rather than try to sit down and talk about it, just let her know you are willing to, and let her come to you in her own time. Also, if you can, encourage her to talk to her father (and vice versa). But avoid any pressure, she'll just push back.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

Sorry about how things are going, this type of thing is never easy to talk about, sounds like she is in denial not wanting to loose her dad, it’s a hard thing for any family member to adjust to, especially if she is the only child.  have you and your daughter and her father ever just sat together and chatted, at the hospital ? I don’t know if her friends know but just getting them to talk to her always helps ease the tension, maybe even a phone call to a help line or a visit from McMillan nurses their very understanding. Either way, you just have to be around in person or phone when she wants to talk and if she’s angry it’s expected, so go easy for both your sakes.

Stay safe

Joe

• I back up what heinous wrote, let her know you are there to talk about it when/ if she wants but don't pressure her. My youngest daughter (19 yrs old) took it in her stride and said we will ctoss each bridge as we come to it.

All the best

Keith