PSA down but pain is up??

• 10 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi, newly diagnosed 3 months ago, my husbands PSAhas dropped to 2.2 from 44.4 in 6 weeks. He is on Prostap 3 which achieved this result in about 6 weeks. His mets are in bone and lung but we don’t know the location details until our oncology appt on 26th November. Over the last few days hubby’s sacral area pain has returned. His symptoms had improved since starting Prostap … I thought the tumours my be shrinking which could cause pain.. just guessing really but is it a regular thing for the pain to come and go like this even when PSA is dropping?? 

• I don't think the PSA and symptoms are necessarily linked; a fall in PSA is a good thing, and certainly suggests that the treatment is having an effect. But I'd still treat the pain on its own merits - if it's a worry, talk to someone on the team

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Thank you for your kind reply.. I think he needs to slow down still working! Today he is at home resting and if rest doesn’t have any effect with pain relief meds I will talk to someone ASAP! 
    louli

• I recently had a psa test it was 3.5 (52 years) what pains do ur husband get? I get pelvis  pain hip pain lower back pain and legs go stiff weak urine flow but no pain or bleed when I pee just a little worried I'm due a mri scan but I scared it could be serious 

• Hi Louli,

My PSA is undetectable currently and has been for over a year now thanks to my treatment plan. I get pain in the areas my mets are located now and again. I spoke to the consultant about it and I was informed that wherever the mets are, the cancer has already done damage and cannot be reversed so pain can occur from time to time. There is no need to be a martyr to pain I was told, think of your quality of life, so at the moment Tramadol is my friend whenever it gets a bit unbearable.

Take care, Tom.

• That’s good to know and it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I read all your comments regularly to hubby because he can’t be bothered with much technology unless it’s to do with cars! 
    He says yes it’s exactly the same place/s as it was before diagnosis and which prompted initial investigations. Oh it’s such a roller coaster ride! 30/500 cocodamol seems to take the edge off it a good bit.

Thanks again HarleyD.

• Hi Anthony, hubby has lower back, groin and leg pain but at the moment it’s only the back that’s really bothering him. But every single person is different and I’m no expert but although your PSA warrants investigation it is by no means the highest I’ve seen. There are some reports on here of folks having PSA in the hundreds and even in thousands. You’ve done the right thing joining this group. I wish I had found it at the very beginning because it’s important to   Read these pages for inspiration and guidance. 
    anyway, one swallow doesn’t make a summer so wait til you have your tests before jumping to conclusions. If it is cancer then it will be treated early by the sounds of it. 99.8% cure rate if caught  early remember. Good luck!

• I started on Cocodamol 30/500 after I was diagnosed but eventually pain relief started to fade. I mentioned this to the consultant and he immediately put me onto Tramadol where i am at present. He did say if the pain got worse he had other pain relief for me, actually made me feel better in a way. If the pain does get worse, I will straight on the blower asking for stronger painkillers as I now have no shame in expecting a decent quality of life in this hellish cancer journey.

Take care, Tom.

• I think quality of life should be taught in school! Yes take what you need.. always.

• Hi Anthony69, of course having a cancer diagnosis is scary but worrying about all the "maybe it's serious" scenarios in your head is a fool's game - and I say that as I have been there and done that myself, many times!

But please don't put off getting any tests that are offered to you. Get all the tests you need, ask loads of questions, read up what you can (but only from reliable websites, not from some anonymous loony on Facebook who wants to sell you magic beans that will cure you!!!)

My attitude is this: if the tests find nothing serious, that's brilliant. If they do find something serious that's also brilliant, because now the medics know what it is, they'll know how to treat it!

and hi to Louli, I would agree with others, that pain is unrelated to PSA levels

best of luck to you all

• Angus P … wise words!… and thanks