Can't sleep?

• 9 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Our most recent Community News blog features resources and tips from around the Community to help you if you're struggling to sleep. 

Read the Community News blog, "Awake and can't sleep?" here.

We know many members in this group share tips and experiences around getting to sleep, and we've featured some tips from this group in our blog. Why not comment your best tips and support in the comments section on the blog for other members?

We hope you'll find the blog helpful. If you have any topics you'd like us to cover on Community News, please just let us know over email to community@macmillan.org.uk or over private message (PM) to .

Best wishes,

Eliza

Macmillan Community team

• I’m currently still in bed, due to not sleeping last night. 
    rumination is my ruin. It’s at night that all stresses from work reverberate round my head, self worth after cancer and incurable diagnosis, generally I know

1. reduce alcohol, I regularly have bad night sleep after wine. Last night was cheese and wine
    2. bedding, hormone therapy causes bad night sweats, so choose nightwear carefully 
    3. environment ensure bedroom not too hot or cold
    4. ensure your relaxed for bed. I often use a body scan as a way to switch my mind off
    5. with hot sweats often just getting up and using the toilet helps cool
    6. if all else fails get up go downstairs have a drink (non alcoholic) tea or water, no caffeine 
    7. accept if it hasn’t worked that you take time the next day, again our friend hormone therapy can take its toll especially emotionally, accept you need time the next day else it’s a spiral. I’ve had to take a day off 
  • Hi , thanks for taking the time to share your tips, although I'm sorry to hear you didn't sleep last night. I can see you've tried lots of different things to help. If you would find it helpful, please remember you can reach our team of nurses on the Support Line if you'd like some further guidance. Macmillan’s Support Line is available 8am – 8pm, 7 days a week over emaillive webchat or by calling 0808 808 00 00. If you'd like to, why not copy and paste this message below the blog in the comments section for members in other groups?

Best wishes,

Eliza

• Sleeping can be difficult. Two weeks into Enzalutamide and I'm getting proper night sweats. A single paracetamol often gets me off to sleep around 1am if absolutely. The thing is to get up and get yourself sorted, not lie in bed tossing and turning with negative thoughts. Restless legs seem to be unavoidable. A cup of tea between 5 and 6 also helps.

Morning gym and swim is the best tonic in the morning along with cycling on other days. I think regular exercise is crucial to fight cancer although it does lead to a nap in the afternoon. I'm also hoping the exercise will reduce restless legs in time. Next months PSA test is obviously key to see if I'm progressing.

I hope that helps.        

• Hi , thank you for your comment. I'm glad to hear that you have found what works for you although I can hear you might be going through a lot just now. It sounds like your experiences might be really helpful for other members to read through. If you want to, why not copy and paste this message below the blog in the comments section for members in other groups?

• Just went across to view the 'Awake' thread on the Breast Cancer forum.  Probably like everyone else on Hormone Therapy, sleeping is a broken thing just now, so I'm willing to approach any tips with an open mind.  There is only so much dark o'clock binge-watching of TV a person can take.  I've run through 'Squid Game' in about three days, and frankly wish I hadn't bothered.  

I do have to say that the ladies are far, far better at this whole chat/community/support thing than us fella's.  They have actual chats about their day and what's going on in their lives.  No offence, guys... but we could really learn a lot from them. 

Did I just say that?  Damn, I really have been on these hormones for far too long... 

So; Dark is the time when the thought processes run wild.  Coupled with the ongoing battle between sweating under the duvet, or freezing outside it. An over-arching fear that the constant changing position interspersed with trips to the toilet will keep my long-suffering wife awake and spoil her own sleep-pattern.  Eventually resulting in surrender followed by a tip-toed exit to the kitchen where the digital newspaper shovels a fresh pile of gloom in my direction.  Sound familiar?  

Do I have any tips?  Nope. I've gone from a solid eight hours sleep a night into a raging insomniac.  Nothing else has changed in my life except the handful of pills I lob down my throat each morning.  So I'm going to take a wild, stab-in-the-dark guess they might have something to do with my broken sleep.  Any suggestions which don't involve my wife smothering me with a pillow will be gratefully received. 

Right, I'm off for a power-nap to recharge my batteries while no-one is looking.  

Old Seadog

• Hi 

I found two things help me sleep, maybe not the eight hours, but four sometimes five. I have a portable DVD player rather than a tv which I watch in bed, I have a stack of movies and complete tv series, watching them for however long helps to drop off.

The other is I have a iPad and I read stories, mainly the ones I have wrote which are book length and again it helps with the sleep, ( not that there bad ) just helps in the process. You kind if get into a routine and it does work.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Old Seadog, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I wondered whether you've considered setting up your own "Awake" thread here in the Prostate cancer group? It could be a nice way to share support and talk about how everyone's doing. Please do consider contacting the Support Line to see whether our nurses might be able to offer any support or guidance around your sleeping. Macmillan’s Support Line is available 8am – 8pm, 7 days a week over emaillive webchat or by calling 0808 808 00 00. Take care,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team

• Hi Joe, thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm glad to hear that you've found a routine that works for you and I hope you'll find the blog helpful as well. It sounds like you're really creative, have you thought about joining the "Express yourself" group? Take care,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team

• Hi I have gone from a Insomniac to sleeping like a log, I too am on HT yes I get the sweats like a horse but what I have done is kicked caffeine into touch after 2 in the afternoon before I had to have coffee to make me sleep but now I drink a max of 3 cups my last hot drink is before 6 usually de caff green tea  or hot chocolate.

I try to not have any cat naps during the day and before I sleep listen to music I find it helps.

I usually get restless legs about 30 mins before I drop off, then its a trip to the loo and Bang Gone

Take care

Chris