Nervous

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Biopsy result of 3-4 =7

First Oncology appointment this coming Monday to discuss treatments. Ive looked at different ones but am no nearer to understanding in which order I should ask to be treated.

Any advice eould be greatly appreciated.

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community. The days prior to your first Oncology appointment are the worst but don't worry your Oncologist will already probably have planned in which order your treatments will take place. Once you've got your plan worked out things strangely become clearer and less scary.

I'm attaching a link to reading material on Prostate cancer from the Macmillan Info and Support website. It might be an idea to have a look through and jot down a few questions you might want to ask your Oncologist on Monday. Don't forget to take your notebook with you or you could ask permission to record the consultation.

I myself have a different type of cancer but my husband was diagnosed with localised Prostate cancer in February 2014 after a MRI scan and 12 biopsies were taken. His PSA had gradually risen from 5.6 to 11.2. He had no symptomatic problems and had a blood test initially as he’d a bad back and our GP said lower back pain could be symptomatic of Prostate Cancer.

His Gleason score was 7 (4+3).The MRI scan showed his cancer was localised.  He had monthly hormone injections over 3 months, HDR Brachytherapy and 3 weeks of external radiotherapy. 6 months after surgery his PSA was 0.5 and continued to reduce at every PSA blood test. He was discharged from his Oncologist (after 6 monthly check-ups) back to his GP in August 2019 and his PSA is currently 0.19.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Crisco

Its always frightening and a difficult decision to make, there are many people on here who can point you into a questions and answers text, try to write some questions down, take somebody with you, two people are better than one, always ask what treatments are available, I do not know your scores as in in PSA, Gleason or stage this helps us a little. We’ve all been through this and what you tell us someone on here has gone through the same.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hello Crisco,

As you become more familiar with the various protocols you will form an opinion. At the moment you don't have enough information - the information starts on Monday.

You need to know the stage your cancer has reached T1/2/3/4. This will narrow down your research a little since all stages have various options, but not all options are useful at particular stages, if that makes sense.

You have a lot of reading ahead of you, some of it contradictory, but don't be afraid to pose any questions to your oncologist - this is your life and you want the best outcome. Your oncologist wants the same. Folks on here have been helpful to me and will be to you.

If you see Monday as a fact finding mission that should help.

Good luck!

• - - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.