Travel Insurance

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I have prostate cancer which is now in remission and has been for over a year.  When I try and get cover for a single trip to Spain I get quoted eye-watering amounts so I want to get travel insurance which excludes cancer as the probability of anything cancer related occurring whilst I am away is vanishingly small.  Does anyone know of companies who I could approach?  Many thanks in anticipation  Howard

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online cancer

I hope you don't mind me butting in, as I'm not a member of this group, but your subject title of 'travel insurance' caught my eye.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis but if you look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread in the travel insurance group, which I can see you've joined, you'll find lots of recommendations from other members who have been successful.

It has been recommended in the past to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I hope you can get some reasonably priced insurance so that you can book your planned trip to Spain.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Start with your bank - many banks offer 'free' travel insurance, which you won't be entitled to under their terms and conditions, but many will allow you to discuss the terms with them and offer you a very decent 1-year policy.

I bank with nationwide, and, like you, I'm in remission, but do have blood pressure issues.  I think I paid £140 surcharge last time - and I make 5 or 6 trips a year. Many insurers ask more than £140 for one trip. You'll usually get much better value in travel insurance going for annual rather than trip; just two trips a year will make it worthwhile, even if one doesn't.

Whatever you do, shop around, as offers will vary from £140 to £800+

As others say in the insurance forum, always be 100% honest, and ask them to be clear - does the quote include or exclude the cancer. No decent firm should charge an arm and a leg for prostate cancer in remission, but insurance isn't the most ethical of businesses.

Good Luck

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Many thanks, Heinous; I'll give this a try.  I have to admit that I hadn't thought of this option so will see how it goes!

• STOP PRESS!
    Just heard that Nationwide are discontinuing travel insurance on their standard FlexAccount. And - so far as I can tell - no banks offer it anymore unless you have a 'monthly fee' account.
    If anyone knows different, do say - for the first time in 40 years, I'm looking for a new bank!

- - -

Heinous

• Hi Heinous,

your are correct. The Nationwide FlexPlus current account costs £13 per month. It offers travel insurance for you & family includes worldwide travel. It offers mobile insurance for you & family worldwide & also car breakdown cover for the UK and the rest of Europe. We have one of these accounts and have used the travel insurance but they will not cover me because of my Prostate cancer, glad to say my wife is covered though.

Take care,  Tom.

• For several years I had worldwide travel insurance on a standard Flex, and got my PCa included for a surcharge. Can't recall the exact figures, but it came down from £140 while I was having treatment to less than £100 once the HT was in the past.

As I've reached 70, I'd have been paying a surcharge for that on renewal, too.

- - -

Heinous