Treatment options at 50

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello can I ask for your experiences of surgery at around age 50 and also radiotherapy? I have to decide and the side effects feel life changing? Thank you

• Hi, I can't answer your question (I was 62 at diagnosis, a different experience), but a good place to start is the 'toolkit' for general advice.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Noodles

This is probably one of the most asked questions, surgery or Radiotherapy.

Surgery can raise issues with ED and urinary problems which is probably going to be the last thing  you need at 50.

Radiotherapy is easier to deal with although if you are on hormone therapy as well this can produce different side effects although these do tend to go away when treatment finishes.

If u do decide on surgery best to make sure the the cancer is contained within the gland and that PSa and Gleeson are not too high.

There are some people on here who are happy with their surgery, hopefully they will post to advise you.

Best wishes

Steve

• Hi   as Grundo says check cancer contained  i was 50 and i choose surgery, reason being uncertainty about impact of radiotherapy in the long term. My understanding is that ed can be an aftereffect regardless of treatment choice. Mine was improving with little blue pills but i got hit with metastasis so hormone therapy killed that.  Ensure you are happy with whatever you choose. Do you have scores? 

Regards

John