Cancer dad

• 6 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello 

My dad has prostate cancer which has spread. He had radiation therapy and is on hormone injections and enzalutamide tablets which he says can give him 2 years if they work. 

What is your advise on supporting him through this. 

• Psa is above 500

Gleason level 7 

Diagnosed in April this year

• Lady79

its good that you are seeking advice regarding support for your Dad.

Please feel free to read my profile, but in a nut shell it’s Gleason 9,

Locally advanced which has spread to the lymph nodes deep in my pelvis.

Treatable but not curable.

I have finished radiotherapy this week and am also on hormone injections.

The biggest help I got was by talking to people, listening to people and telling myself that I am going to make this day beautiful and end the day thinking of something that has made you smile.

It’s hard sometimes when the day appears not to be kind but thinking of peoples actions, words, situations etc can make that smile break through.

And a smile works wonders.

Talk positive to your Dad and give him opportunities to open up.

I always tell people I’m in a good mind set.

I have a wonderful daughter who has been my rock all the way through.

She has a way of spoiling me with little gifts or nice cards/poems when I 

least expect it.

My daughter seems to wait for an opening and then asks questions.

talking is so good, it’s not for everyone some people won’t open up.

I have phoned MacMillan, Prostate Cancer Uk and they are all so wonderful.

I visit Maggie’s at Manchester every week, these people will give you face to face support and are so wonderful.

I would be lost without Maggie’s, check out if there is one near you.

Maggies will support both of you and have a timetable of classes and groups taking place each day.

The concept is great-

no receptions

no clocks or posters

drinks are available 

you can either relax on your own without talking to anyone.

The one I visit has a small library and a garden, then of course there is support if you want it in a relaxed and caring manner.

I wish your Dad well and you also.

Never be alone, someone here will always respond to you.

Stay safe and take care 

Spud

”You don’t know how Strong you are,

until being Strong is your only choice “

Bob Marley 

• Remember to make the most of each day.  Is the best advice that can be given.  If you need further support there are many places out there as has already been stated Maggie's Cancer Centres are absolutely marvellous for both sufferers and their families.  There is always someone to talk to.  Everyone is different so don't focus on the 2 years as no one can really give you a definitive date and once one treatment starts to fail there may be others which can be tried.  Years ago my brother in law lived from 55 to 68 with Advanced Prostate cancer on various treatments and sometimes his PSA reached into the thousands.  His wife and family are still supoorters and fund raisers for local cancer hospitals and charities so they often meet his consultant who is sure that if he had some of  the treatments we have now back then he may have had longer.  The main thing to do though is to make the most of the time you have.  My brother and sister in law made the most of their wonderful family and had some really good long holidays exploring the US in a camper van which was something they always wanted to do.

• freefaller 

your words are true and kind. 

My hormone injections are for two years with a possibility of having to go back on them at a later date.

Please take care and never be alone.

Regards 

Spud. 

• Thank you.  All the very best.

• Hi lady79

No one can give you exact time lines as regards how long people live with this disease, unless it’s down to the last few weeks. Surprised a Gleason 7 has not been more treatable, does he have underlying conditions ? My PSA was 893 Gleason 9/10 and five years later I still write on here.

My advice is stay positive the both of you, there will be good and bad days, so just enjoy what the day brings you, I always say in a few weeks they might find a cure for us all, so let’s hope it’s out there somewhere.

Stay safe

Joe