Feeling very anxious

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group and really just wanted a place to have a rant and share some of my fears.

I found out just a few days ago that my Dad who is 63 has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer which has spread to several bones, He was put straight onto hormone tablets and told his psa was 50 and has been for a scan today, He has another appointment in march where I suppose we will find out more. Despite being told it is incurable My Dad himself is feeling very hopeful as the doctor he spoke to told him he'd had patients who had lived up to 10 years later with the cancer. I feel awful saying this but I can't share the optimism and all I can see at the moment is images of death and sickness and losing my hero in my mind. 

I guess I'm after any kind of reassurance that people can still live some kind of life with this.

• Hi Deb

Yes it is very true, people live for years with medication now, he is the same age as I was when I caught it and I’am approaching 69, he has the same type of diagnosis I had. Something that help me a little and you can ask the doctor about it is Alca d3 it helps strengthens the bones, even if it’s a little everything helps.

Do not worry, or stress PC is one of the slowest to grow with treatment there’s a good few years in him yet, your hero will be with us for some time, the cancer people are a great team, just when you see them next if you go prepare a few questions write them down, answers will put you and your dad at age.

Stay safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Thanks for the reply, it's really reassuring to hear your positivity and to know you're of a similar diagnosis age and stage. I think he's joined up to the group so I'm sure he'd love to hear more about your journey at some point.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there,

I literally could have written this myself- my 63 year old dad was diagnosed two weeks ago and we went to his oncology appointment today where they told us it had spread to his bones and lymph nodes. He’s going straight on hormone treatment too but the Doctor didn’t give us any indication of how long he might have so it’s reassuring to read the reply below. My dad is also very positive and to be honest I think that’s the only thing that’s stopped me from falling apart!

Lots of love and kind wishes to you!

Holly 

• Hi to both you ladies

Although under great pressure, the cancer teams will certainly do their best to help everybody concerned, patient and family. Deb anytime he wants to chat I’am on here most days. We never have a bad word to say to anyone just encouragement.

Stay safe all

Joe

• Hi Deb

my Dad is 89 so I feel I should’nt be upset or scared because of his age ...we’ve been told with a PSA of 251 it has definitely spread and they are not even going to do another scan (due to covid and as consultant said knowing won’t change outcome) On tablets and starting injections next week

my father is also much more positive than I am 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SJS1963

I think your Dad is your Dad regardless of age its devastating, i reallt hope all goes as well as it can for him.

• Hi there. Firstly I am so sorry to learn of your dad’s diagnosis and how worried you are.

My husband was diagnosed in 2019 aged 56 with advanced prostate cancer, similar psa to your dad and it can feel a very slow process from diagnosis through all the scans to treatment.   However he was confirmed after radiotherapy to have been successfully treated and his psa had dropped to virtually non existent.

So whilst you may heat words like incurable and I shared your initial panic there is light and hope as it isn’t quite the doom you first hear when you hear any mention of cancer. 

Rest assured your dad isn’t going anywhere- take a pen and paper to your appointment and ask as many questions as you like, prepare some in advance too as you will forget and no question will seem daft. 

Take care and look after each other