Signs and symptoms

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 108 subscribers

In my profile I describe how my PSA has fluctuated over the years (I was diagnosed with PC in 2013). The various treatments I've had have been mainly based on the level of my PSA, which is often unrelated to how I'm feeling. In other words symptoms (how I'm feeling) don't seem to be related to signs (PSA levels). The various treatments I've had as a result of increases in PSA (including abbiraterone and docatexel) have has a profound, but not lasting, effect on my symptoms.

I wonder if other members of the forum have experienced a similar disconnect between signs and symptoms? 

• PSA is an unreliable, very indirect indicator; there's no reason why you should relate to it in any way.

Think about it: most people who have hormone therapy feel pretty much at their worst, while it generally keeps PSA at it's lowest. PSA is one of many hundreds of chemicals that wander around the body, and there's really no surprise that you don't feel 'connected' to it; you're confusing it with things like insulin, which are active chemicals that have a direct effect - rather than result from an effect.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.