4+3=7 in general

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello

Could you please write me down your treatment experience with 4+3=7 in Gleason"s scale?

I've got it plus PSA 6.9 

Thanks a lot for your help 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I can't answer your question but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. By replying to you it will 'bump' it back to the top of the first page where it'll hopefully be seen by someone who can help you.

In the meantime you might find this information about treatment for prostate cancer useful.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Paul,

I think I replied to your post on an old discussion posted a while ago. I was 72 nearly 73 when diagnose.  I had Gleason 7 (3+4) so just lower than yours.  PSA 13. T2 M0 N0 so initially localised cancer but T3 disease (locally advanced disease) could not be ruled out because of what was found at MRI.   At MRI the tumour could be seen to be pushing out of the back of the prostate so it was felt that removal would not be an option because the cancer could have "come out" therefore I had a 9 month course of Hormone Treatment HT which noramlly starts with a 2 or four week course of bicalutamide tablets to discourage "tumour flare" (growth of the tumour when starved of testosterone which feeds the tumour) The tablets are normally taken for at least a week before the first hormone injection and the first hormone injection is usually a month long injection to ensure that you have no huge problems with the type of injection and any further injections are 3 month injections.  After 6 months on the Hormone Treatment I had 4 weeks of radiotherapy.   I had a 3 month injection just before starting the radiotherapy and have not had another.  However, some carry on with the HT for a year or two years after finishing radiotherapy.  All in all this has worked and 3 years later my PSA is undetectable so as my urologist stated at the outset my cancer seems to have been curable not just treatable - though every PSA test and the wait for results is worrying.

If your MRI and other scans show no spread and that the tumour is contained within the prostate and shows no sign of either being about to or having broken out of the prostate then this would probably be one of your options as could removal of the prostate.  Obviously, I am not a medical professional so cannot say this is what will happen to you but I would think that these options would be open to you.  Different GP's, consultants and different cancer centres will all differ slightly in the treatment given and how it is given but the overall result should be the same.

I would advise you to look at the brilliant Prostate Cancer Toolkit collection of pamphlets on the Prostate Cancer UK website prostatecanceruk.org.  You can either download the pamphlets or get them posted to you but so much easier to download and read straight away.  These give you a lot of information for you at diagnosis. 

All the best to you and keep in touch so that we know how you are getting on.

Des

• Hi Paul, I started as Gleason 3+4 but updated to 4+4 after surgery. My profile contains all the details. As Des has already highlighted much depends on where tumours are. Mine were bulging at the edge of the prostate capsule and in reality had started to escape.

Have a read through my profile for more information.

It would be useful if you provided more information like MRI results if you’ve had one, age (I’m guessing 51 or 52 from your username) , general health etc. 
    All the best.

Ido4

• Given you know your Gleason score I can safely assume you’ve had a biopsy.  Depends where the tumour is. I’m a similar age to you slightly younger. My initial scan showed the tumour close to the edge.  I opted for prostratectomy  (April 2019) which went as planned double nerve sparing, Recovery was going well. Unfortunately follow up showed recurrent prostrate cancer.  A subsequent psa pet scan showed it has spread to my ribs.(I was first in my hospital to receive this type of scan)

I you are trying to decide on the route of treatment then my surgeon advised against brachytherapy due to possible long term effects, also surgery after radiotherapy is very difficult.  Surgery can be a cure if the cancer is contained.  I do believe if they knew it had spread then surgery might not have been an option. 

I made sure I had a list of questions prior to each appointment so I could make sure I was happy with the approach. All staff have been willing to answer each and every one. 

Good. Luck on the journey we are on. These decisions are personal and what is right for one man might not be for the next. Whilst understanding what might be the case try not to scare yourself with others experiences.  My case is just one, the majority are fortunate in that the cancer is contained.  We need to be aware of the possible but be positive. 

Ive definitely learnt to live in the near future because dwelling on what the longer term might be brings too many unknowns and concerns. Step by step.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thanks a lot Youngman for a ray of hope. 

On Monday,17th of February,I've  got bones scan and then a doctor will make decision about an option for a treatment for me.

Unfortunately my wife suffers of breast cancer as well. We are both under dog since and of Ocrober 2019,since when  we discovered it.

However,I really appreciate it that you passed me on so many positive words about treatment. 

Thanks a lot again and all the  best for You 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Hi

Sure,I'm going to put more details on my profile here. 

It could be useful for everyone. No doubt. 

Thnaks a lot and all the best for You too

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Thank You Des 

Your full story made me slightly calm. 

I try  to be more patient,I have to be anyway. ,because the cancer doesn't came only on my unfortunately to my wife also. 

It is not easy to tell and describe how we both spend our life  after 2.30pm,when I come back of work,the same topic of our conversation....since end of October 2019 when we discovered our  cancers. 

No family here,apart from two of us,no chance to get any support  appart from each other. Well,time to stop moronic time to keep smile on the face,work time,time  to pretend all goes well. 

Sorry for my sense of humor,but there is no reason to pretend that all in order. 

All the best 

• Can't imagine what it is like when both of you have cancer.  Both my wife and I have been taking turns to be ill over the last few years in 2015 we though it possible my wife's time was limited.  The following year I had my cancer diagnosis when my wife was getting better.  Thankfully we are both still here and are both doing OK. 

Good to have a sense of humour.  Live in the moment and make the most of every moment together.

All the best to you,

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

We are in similar age,my wife is 50',myself 52'.Most of life arm by arm. The same Uni,the same places of work,etc. Once ,we realized that we even  got the cancers together. It is extremely hard to imagine how do we feel (?)

• Yes I can't  imagine what you are both going through. What a thing to happen. Taking this thing of doing everything together to the extreme if you don't mind me saying so.  Sometimes "fate" is so odd.

Take care of each other.

Des