Side effects

• 11 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My husband has had 13 radio therapy treatments all going well but from yesterday he has had terrible wind and sometimes doesn't know if it is dihorea is there anything he can take to ease as he frightened to go out in case caught out 

• Talk to the radiotherapists and they will get something prescribed for him - always tell the radiotherapists if anything has changed as they will then be able to stay on top of any side effects.  It is not unusual to get the side effects from about the tenth treatment onwards.  Shame this has happened out of hours it may be worth trying to call his cancer nurse or keyworker if you have one - though doubt if they are working on a Saturday.  It may be worth talking to your pharmacist too they will be able to give short term help until he can speak to someone on Monday.

• Thank you he just going to rest over weekend and will speak to radio therapist on Monday  don't have key worker it's a shame as he kicked alcohol cigarettes no caffeine this is testing his willpower  but keep saying on 7 to go and if he gets something to help this it will def help 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to bar711

Just to say it isn't unusual to have bowel problems following radiotherapy (RT) so.this is not unexpected.  It's due to collateral radiation damage.

There are other consequences of RT which your husband should have been told about, but even if he was, it might be a good idea to look these up.  There is relevant information on, this, Macmillan site.

• I was given Fybogel to help ease bowel problems during radiotherapy. This happened during my weekly review. 

Ido4

• Thank you have review this week will ask about it can you buy in chemist 

• Is this side effect ongoing or only during treatment 

• Yes, you can buy Fybogel at chemist.

Ido4

• Just wanted to mention here that most people think fybogel is to help you have a bowel movement but it actually "bulks" up the stools so you should end up having fewer movements.  I have found myself taking a daily immodium tablet and a fybogel sachet and that seems to work well - I hava  prexisting condition before my cancer treatment so both bowel and bladder movements were erratic prior to any treatment.  Do not do this without being told to do so by one of the team at the hospital.  When you go today do tell them that he is having problems and they should be able to put something together for him.

• You may find that this side effect carries on for a while after treatment.  It should, like all other side effects get better over time.   

• Please remember it is very important to tell the radiotherapist etc. if he is taking anything like this or if he changes any medication prescribed or over the counter medication during the radiotherapy.