Constant need to pee.

• 15 replies
  • 110 subscribers

After being operated on for a colorectal tumour I'm told I now have prostate cancer and am waiting for a urology appointment.  I'm assuming the prostate cancer is responsible for the near constant stimulus to pee even if I don't need to go.  Is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the false stimuli?  It's driving me nuts and keeping me awake at night.

• Your oncologists will probably give you something to help when you see him I don't know of anything over the counter that will help I did have cranberry Juice weather it helped or not not sure

Ian
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Prostate cancer doesn't necessarily have any symptoms.  If your prostate is enlarged this can cause some symptoms, including an urge to pee.  However the urge to pee isn't necessarily constant.

Also, prostate cancer doesn't necessarily mean the gland is enlarged.

If they're saying you have prostate cancer, then presumably you've had a biopsy as this is the only way cancer can be confirmed.  In which case the biopsy would have said if  the gland wad enlarged.

However, overall I wouldn't assume that your symptom.is due to the cancer.  Especially if you've had the biopsy recently, it sounds more as if you have an infection.  It would be a good idea to see your GP. 

Cranberry juice might help.reduce symptoms or potassium citrate mixture.  However be careful of the latter if you have a heart condition or kidney failure.

• In the meantime try cutting out all caffeine and alcohol.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Also a good idea to not drink after 6pm.  Make sure you drink enough fluid but try and drink most earlier in the day.

• Thank you all for your useful hints and tips.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AEC

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer when I saw the GP about peeing almost  every hour. I thought it was due to old age as am 79. I was put on Prostap 3 and peeing slowed up but still at least 3 times sometimes up to 5  between 12 and 6 pm. Still on the original injection at beginning of April and am on Wait and Watch with blood tests every 3  months. Hot flushes continue to this day and seem to coincide  with peeing but not sure its a chicken and egg situation which comes first. I have four bed bottles in a bowl by the side of my bed and empty them and rinse them out several  times with a final rinse containing   a squirt of liquid soap containing a germicide. Deep sleep seems to delay peeing. Usually pee up to 200 mls each time. I stop drinking about 7pm.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I can identify with what you are experiencing, and I am up to the toilet five times a night.

Last drinks about seven pm too. Must take plenty of liquids about 2 1/2 litres, to prevent constipation. Must get to bed by nine, so I get enough sleep. Usually about six or seven hours. 

I had radiotherapy on my prostate four years sgo. I am 79 too!

• FormerMember

Having to pee many times is technically known as "frequency".  If you have pee, possibly several times during the night then this is technically known as " nocturia".

If you find that sometimes you feel quite strongly that you need to pee, this is known as "urgency".  If when you go to pee, you have trouble startinh, this is known as "hesitancy"

These are the 4 classic signs of an enlarged prostate gland.

• FormerMember

I have 3 of the four signs. No hesitancy. I have to make three passes in order to totally empty my Bladder..... This is all standard stuff

Got used to getting up four times a night. Just need to get to bed before nine thirty so I'll have enough sleep. 

Glad and grateful to be alive! 

• FormerMember

I too avoid constipation as  as I don't want to adversely strain my Hernia. I take the occasional Ducosate as and when necessary . It is a stool softener. I sleep in the afternoon which sometimes takes the edge off my sleeping. Fibre is supposed to help with constipation and every morning I cook Morrison's porridge the sort with   added Bran. Sprinkle my pudding with Wheat Bran from H&B.