So desperately sad,

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My lovely Dad has advanced Prostrate Cancer and is now at home under the pallative care provision.

He is becoming so weak and poorly, I can barely watch on but of course I will really support him and my Mum right to the end and afterwards 

I feel hopeless and helpless and so dreadfully sad and scared.

This once, beautiful, strong, perfect Man is a shell of himself, I feel I can't live on without him.  I am sorry this post is depressing, 

I wish I could do something. I am scared I wont cope it front of him, I am worried that he senses my fear or do you think that's ok to show him how I truly feel.  I am sorry it's been a long day.

Michaela. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Michaela

Just on my way to bed but couldn't read and run.  I don't know much about your story - how long your dad has been ill, the treatment he's had etc but we're just starting out on this, what I hope is a long and successful journey.  All I will say is you will fine the strength and be as honest with them as you can be without adding tot their worry if that makes sense.  Thinking of you all.

Jackie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Jackie, my Dad  (Ronnie), has lived with Prostrate Cancer for a very long while.  He has been on two trials which really have extended his life. He has also received radiation therapy and hormone treatment.  Dad chose not to have any chemotherapy which they recently offered him.  He did have one round but couldn't tolerate it.

I do feel calmer and more together now.  It's a very bumpy journey!!

Thank you so much for your kind words, we will be ok. I also want to pass on my best wishes on to you also. I will never forget the love, support, advice and kindness Macmillan have given us, especially my Dad's nurse Caroline.  Please keep com8ng to this site for support

All the very best,

Michaela x

• Hi Michaela.

I was only 22 and just out of university when my Dad died of prostate cancer. He had been a really fit person and taught me a lot in the short time we had together. It was a very hard time but you will get over it. OK, it was 50 years ago now but you never forget. Just the other day I was clearing out my garage and came across a hammer which my Dad had given me all those years ago. It was quite a poignant moment as it was the day after my oncology consultant had told me that he didn't want to see me again for six months.

I hope you get through the next few weeks OK. Just take it one day at a time and everything will be fine in the end.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • hi michaela 

really sorry to hear about ur dad and his condition .

i have incurable pc too , i'm on 3 monthly zoladex injections and taking abiraterone every day .

i had 5 rounds of chemo which in hindsight i wish i'd never had ! it did nothing to help me in fact i had further spread !! .

i've decided to look at alternative ways to treat myself .

google the JOE TIPPENS PROTOCOL and have a look at that .

if u need any help let me know .

best wishes paul 

• Just wanted to say, we are only just starting our Prostate Cancer journey, so have no real advice to offer, but wanted you to know that you have support on here and there is normally someone around to reply.

Be there for your dad, my husband says he is still him, so talk to him as you normally would. Take your lead from your dad, and carry on making treasured memories. Sending you a hug x

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anubis

Thank you Paul for your advice and I will certainly look at the Joe Tippens Protocol.

My Pops still has his Zoladex injections and is on lots of different tablets. 

He found Chemotherapy brutal and after being treated for sepsis, he decided he would have no further treatment. However "Hope against Cancer" put him on a fantastic trial that really helped for the next 16 months, however we are where we are today.

This morning I sat with him, with the sun streaming in through the window and we chatted, in between him sleeping, I will treasure moments like these forever.  He is the most wonderful Dad.

I am so sorry that you have PC also, I wish I could help. Thank you again for taking the time to reply, all the very best.

Michaela.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Hi Seamus,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply to my post.

Gosh you were young when you lost your Dad. Dad's do teach us so much and we never forget their wise words. I was pleased to read that your Consultant doesn't want to see you for six months, such good news under difficult times.

Like you said, I know deep down I will be ok but it's just such a scary feeling to think that I will have to say one last goodbye. I don't know how anyone gets through it, but I guess we all have to go through this.

Anyway I dont want to be negative, thank you once again for your reply and all the very best.

Michaela. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Boatmans Lady

Thank you for you hug and lovely words.  I will take your advise and keep talking as I normally would do, sometimes I forget that and perhaps talk to him as a child. I do this because I want to take care of him and treat him gently. Really on reflection I should perhaps just be who I have always been to him.  So thank you.

I wish you and your husband all the very best and thank you again.

Michaela xxxx