Language Timothy!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 108 subscribers

I am shortly going to be taking part, as a "Person Affected by Cancer" (PAC) in consultation about the language that's used by professionals and by patients and the public around the topic of cancer.  Any cancer, not just prostate. 

PAC includes anyone "affected",  not just cancer patients but partners, family and friends.

This also links with Macmillan's national initiative looking into the emotional aspects of cancer care and how these can be managed.

The consultation will be looking at words and phrases and their positive or negative impact, meaning or understanding.

You may be familiar with such words and phrases as "Malignant", (and benign), "the big C", "tumour", "mass" etc

I would be interested to hear form others what their experiences of the language professionals have used with them or the language they use or others around them use that impact them or help or hinder understanding.

As yet, I don't know what the consequences of the consultation will be, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I will take whatever feedback you give me to the consultation.  (Anonymously!)

Thanks

• I’ve had statements like “We’re going to treat you palliatively”

I wanted another curative attempt (and eventually succeeded in getting that).

“Your treatment will attempt to control but not cure your cancer.”

“You may have many months or years ahead. “

”I think you have microscopic systemic disease”

Some of the language I’ve experienced that had a big impact on how I felt to say the least.

Hope this is useful.

Ido4

• The worst I get is that Prostate Cancer is the best cancer to get.  Yes.  OK now I probably appreciate that  but when you hear that early on or when you are having problems from HT or just don't know exactly the details of your disease and treatment is then its best not to say this.  I don't think any disease or illness is the best type to get. Do you? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Thanks Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller
    1. Thanks freefaller, I agree no cancer is the best to get.
  • I've seen your comments under a separate thread concerning the words cure, curative etc..

Having had the misfortune to be separately diagnosed with both prostate and lung cancer I recall only lung cancer where such a word was used. This was that treatment was with "curative intent" which personally I thought was very indicative of the true situation - that treatment was given with an intent to cure but this is not guaranteed. So far it has been curative and I am obviously delighted but I am under no illusion that this is permanent (although I continue to live in hope!).

I guess that the doctor's delivery can affect how this is interpreted as well though.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to excavator

I'm with Freefaller on that one. I heard it from a doctor of all people. Tell that to someone who's PC is incurable. It's a phrase that tests my ability to produce a civilised reply, especially when I consider what my family have been through since my diagnosis.