Post Transperineal Biopsy

• 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Just after some quick advice.

Hubby will be day 6 from his biopsies and appeared to be recovering well. The bruising is spectacular, but peeing razor blades had stopped, but today he has experienced very painful stinging which hasn't abated as the day has gone on, if anything it has got worse. He has said the discomfort has been much better than expected.

I think I have convinced him that he needs to see someone if it is still as painful tomorrow, but as we weren't given any advice other than take these antibiotics on discharge, I don't know if I'm panicking unduly. We even had to ask how long to leave the dressing on and how long before he could shower/bath.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but hoping someone can advise us.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Does he have a temperature?  One possibility is that he has an infection, this is a risk of a biopsy.  If so, there is a risk of sepsis, if it's not treated.  If he does have a temperature see a doctor urgently.

If he doesn't have a temperature, see a doctor urgently anyway.

Sorry you've been given no advice, that's unacceptable!

He can wash, could have days ago.  A shower would be better than a bath.

I didn't have a transperineal biopsy, I had the TRUS.  I believe however that he'll have a wound.  What does the wound look like, if it looks red or swollen,   is tender, feels hot or even looks as if it's coming open then there's a wound infection. 

The other symptoms are symptoms  of a urinary tract infection.

He needs to see a doctor.

• Thank you for the swift reply.

No he doesn't have a temperature and apart from the awful stinging feels well. (The stinging is new yesterday)

Through asking we did get told to take the dressing off that evening (he wouldn't have been able to open his bowels with it on) and that he could wash carefully.

Not to shower or bath until the 4th day, but nothing about what to look out for.

I will get him to ring our GP who has been very good.

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.