Flying

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hello,

i appreciate its individual but does anyone have vague times from Op to being able to fly?

Thanks 

• Try  posting in "Ask a nurse"

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Ask your surgeon.  I would imagine you would have to wait 6 weeks and maybe longer depending on how well you are recovering which will depend on your fitness before hand and any complications peculiar to you.  Have you got something booked?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

I don't think there's any specific restriction on flying after prostate surgery.  Obviously it would be very inconvenient if you still had a catheter in, I just wouldn't have done that.  If you're suffering incontinence, that could also be an inconvenience but shouldn't stop you really.

The only thing I might warn you about is where are you flying to?  Are you staying there any length of time?

If you're going to a non EU country, you will need travel/medical insurance and you will find it expensive!

If you're goingb to an EU country, might be a good idea to get back before 31st Oct.

• I think it's important to have travel insurance for travel anywhere abroad. As far as I am aware there is currently free medical treatment in EU countries (subject to what happens after 31/10) but this is only up to the level of free treatment in each country which can vary from what the NHS provides.

Notwithstanding any free medical cover in EU countries you also need to think about issues like repatriation following a serious illness (cancer related or unrelated) or an accident which necessitates a medically staffed air ambulance. This is obviously very expensive, for example one of my friends sustained serious head injuries in a fall several years ago and after treatment had to be brought back by air ambulance which cost over £25,000. I know this is extreme but it is still a risk.

Other than that you might incur cancellation or curtailment / travel costs in the event of illness or accident of you or a close relative plus all the other things that come with travel insurance.

Unfortunately travel insurance with cancer can be difficult to obtain or might be expensive, but if you have a look at the travel insurance community on here you can find many suggestions of insurance companies who are more geared up to providing cover at reasonable cost.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • When I checked it was 6 weeks. Dont forget airlines have pressurised cabins and you'll be sat so thrombrosis risks

• Hi

Just following on from the excellent advise that excavator gave you about travel insurance I thought I'd provide you with the link to the travel insurance group.

If you want to join us over there just click on the link I've provided. Once you've joined look for the post called 'Recommended Travel Insurance' (it's usually on the first page) as it's where we try to keep all the recommendations from other community members in one place.

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. It is best to phone the travel companies rather than do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Young man commented about the thrombosis risk of being sat during a flight.

Should you choose to fly, then purchase a pair of Flight socks. Bought mine at Boots, but I’m sure you can buy them in many other places. Exercise your feet and calves regularly, and if on a long haul, get out of your seat and walk about. This is good advice to any traveller flying, not just for people like ourselves.

Browse the web for advise on how to exercise on a flight. 

Personally I’m looking forward to the day I’m through my treatment, and I’m fit to fly. I need to answer the “Call of the Cold”

best wishes and good luck 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Many thanks - I think we’re going to be sensible and say the holidays for next year and just deal with current plans.

Robert